We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildcat Trail at night?

Tokyo
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Wildcat Trail at night?

We will be heading to MV this summer and will stay at The View overnight. We will be there a couple of nights after the full moon. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile, or even possible, to try the Wildcat Trail at night. I imagine it would be an amazing place to experience under the moon and stars. (or am I just being foolish?)

Has anyone ever tried this?

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Ray

Mentioned in this post
Wildcat Trail
Wildcat Trail
288 Reviews
Monument Valley, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

I've never done it there, but have taken full moon walks in the desert and they are amazing. The day after full is just as good. Each day after that you lose a little light, but I bet you could do it and it would give a whole new perspective to the valley.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

I wonder what type of wildlife comes out at night? Bet others have the same idea though.

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

I did it by day in Nov last year and i was on my own. Never saw a soul.

It will either be spooky or amazing at night.

There were load of horse hoof prints so whether they were wild or being ridden, i dont know.

Even if not at night, try and do it anyway as you walk around the left mitten and it gives a nice perspective.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

Wildlife? Bet you wouldn't see a thing.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Axel - do you think it would be difficult to follow the trail at night?

Kbec - It might be the ones you can't see (but can hear) that would make me nervous ... lol.

Ray

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,594 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

If you are unfamiliar with hiking at night, it could be quite challenging. As noted, it will be desolate. Take a stumble or fall and you might be sitting out there for the rest of the night and well into the following day. Could spoil your vacation.

Understand that you don't have to go far from the hotel to take in the night skies. Darkness and desolation are always nearby at night on the Rez. Absence of big towns and cities close by with lots of night lighting make night time much different from what you are used to in Tokyo.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

It's the Skinwalkers you've got to watch out for...

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

(Axel - do you think it would be difficult to follow the trail at night?)

I Think so. I got up to and around the mitten then lost track on the return so made my own route back as i could just about see the 'View' in the distance.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

Well I guess it's looking less and less a good idea. I appreciate the comments though.

Axel, thanks for your fist hand observations, they are very valuable.

RedRox, you make a good point about the added dangers of being in a desolate area. Whilst I do admit the experience of such desolation is a fascinating one (I've enjoyed dry camping in the outback of my native Australia several times) what really intrigued me was the chance to see, up close, the 'mitten' formation in the moonlight.

Perhaps the best approach would be to ask the locals when I arrive there what they think of the idea.

Ray

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
455 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildcat Trail at night?

I've taken this hike during the day and it's wonderful! Since you will be there for a few days, I would suggest that you first take the trail during the day to get the layout of the trail and then certainly try it at night during a full moon. I would bring a flashlight, but I don't think you'd have a problem. The trails are marked by piles of rocks which I don't think would be difficult to follow by the light of the moon. I personally think it's a great idea as long as you are careful.

As for animals, I think you'd have a good chance at seeing scorpions since some folks found some in their rooms when they left their sliding doors open during the day!

Get answers to your questions about Monument Valley