We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Monument Valley

Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Monument Valley

Hi there. Myself, husband and our 3 kiddies are going to be visiting Monument Valley this April. We will be in an RV so we need to sort out how we are going to see the area when we arrive. Trouble is, I have just been diagnosed with severe osteo arthritis in my neck and the doctor says that a bumpy jeep ride would not be a good idea. What does anyone think about say us hiring a car for the day when we get there, and then taking it slowly on the 17m loop? Is it possible to hire a car in the area? I would appreciate any suggestions, as I do not want to miss out on what promises to be an amazing experience.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Monument Valley

All the roads (other than Highway 163 that runs through the park) that take you around Monument Valley are unpaved, rough and bumpy and although it would not be for me to judge what you should or shouldn't do, I would have said it wouldn't be the most sensible thing to do.

You can drive up to The Visitors Centre and get some good shots from there. Maybe you could sit with a coffee whilst the others take a tour with a local Navajo guide? I think the shortest are about 2 hours.

The great typical shot of the valley as imagined from a hundred movies can be obtained by heading east on 163 into Utah. Pull over (carefully) and look back.

One other site in the area that can be reached by paved road is Goosenecks and of course you are only half a days drive from The Grand Canyon.

California
Level Contributor
929 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Monument Valley

I don't recall the road out to the Arizona side visitors center being all that bumpy, but that was a year & a half ago. Suggestion for a close encounter; if your RV is of the less than 36' variety, you could stay at the Mittenview Campground (google their website). Stay at space #24 or 26 for a view second to none -- right directly on the rim of the valley.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Monument Valley

Hi

Hiring a car and taking it easy on the 17m loop should be OK, it's not that rough. Unfortunately the nearest place to hire a car is Flagstaff! not exactly next door.

Another option may be to find your own Navajo guide and explain the situation. I'm sure they will try to accommodate you.

www.monumentvalley.net has a link to Sacred Monument Tours who's Tour Operations Manager says "Just tell me what you need and I can arrange it for you." Maybe they can help?

It would be terrible for you to miss out on an amazing experience.

Good Luck.

Tony