We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back Country Tour

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Back Country Tour

We have a night booked at the View the 2nd week of September. We would like to take a back country half day tour the next morning.

How far in advance do we need to book?

Thank You for your help!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back Country Tour

We've taken back country tours a few times now and have always been able to book them the day of the tour without any problems. You'll usually find several guides waiting and can pick between them.

There is a difference in the quality of the tour from one guide to the next, though. Our best tour was given by a guide named Frank, who was with Blackwater Tours. We'll look for him next time!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,116 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back Country Tour

Ask yourself, how will you feel if you can't get a tour on the day of? If you know the date, and you know who you'd like to use, book today.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back Country Tour

I tend to book things early (and the earlier the better in my book). Since you already have your dates for the stay at MV, I would move forward on booking the tour. RedRox is correct; why risk getting shutout when you can plan ahead.

Here is the link to the Tribal Park website for MV, which includes a list of the tour operators:

navajonationparks.org/htm/monumentvalley.htm

We used the Keya-Hozhoni Tours by Tom Phillips and had a wonderful back country tour. Our guide was Dan and he was very good (not overly talkative, but that was OK).

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back Country Tour

I want to thank everyone for your quick replies. And thanks OhioHick for the link.

It looks like I will spend some time this weekend researching the different tour companies.

Thanks

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back Country Tour

You're welcome. Hollar back if you have any other questions....

London, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Back Country Tour

looking to arrange a back country tour

Any suggestions are better companies

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back Country Tour

Posts 1 and 3 of this thread have recommendations from bkb6060 and me.

8. Re: Back Country Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, December 15, 2013