We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunset at Monument Valley, staying at Gouldings vs staying...

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
391 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
sunset at Monument Valley, staying at Gouldings vs staying...

Any opinions of staying at Gouldings to see the sunset versus seeing the sunset and driving to Kayenta to sleep. How safe would the drive be in the dark with Mom & son? The room at Gouldings is steep at $170/night. Maybe the splurge would be worthi it? We are trying to stick to a budget.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sunset at Monument Valley, staying at Gouldings vs staying...

Hi

We were fortunate enough to stay at Goulding's Lodge back in May and although the accommodation is nothing spectacular it certainly can't be beaten for location. To enjoy a meal in the very good restaurant and watch the sun set on Monument Valley is magical.

I've never driven the highway to Kayenta at night so I can't help you there other than to say the road is well maintained and you'll not encounter any major problems, as far as I'm aware.

My advice, splurge out and treat yourselves to a night at Goulding's Lodge.

Have a great trip.

Tony

los angeles
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sunset at Monument Valley, staying at Gouldings vs staying...

I asked the same question back in the summer. The replies were that the road to Kayenta's good and is an easy drive at night. We were on a budget so we stayed at the Anasazi Inn a few miles past Kayenta, a lot less money than Goulding's. Advantage also of that was to stay somewhere close to Navajo Nat'l Monument, where's there guided scheduled hikes down to major sites, including Keet Seel.

Instead, we rose at dawn at were at Desert Overlook at Grand Canyon by 8am. If I had realized how close I was to Hopi, would have doen that instead. The Inn at Tsegi Canyon was fine, no frills and we took some fry bread and stew back to our room. This was after the day float on the San Juan, then sunset at MV.