We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley v Sedona

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Monument Valley v Sedona

Hi folks

For those who have been to both Monument valley and Sedona, if you could only choose one place to visit, which one would you choose?

15 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

What is the rest of your itinerary? They are located 4+ hours apart. I would recommend both!! Here we did an itinerary where we went to Sedona:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g14302…

Here we did an itinerary where we went to Monument Valley:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28924…

Both were unique and extremely enjoyable vacations. You need to provide your arrival and departure airports, plus your dates of travel so a vacation plan can be suggested to you.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
22,768 posts
454 reviews
196 helpful votes
2. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

Welcome to the forum. These are two completely different places in literally every aspect and actually hard to compare. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Sedona so I would go to Monument Valley. But both have their plusses. I, too, would look at your overall itinerary and make some of the decision based on which is a better fit into your flow.

Sedona is a very well developed resort community with significant hotel and restaurant infrastructure. Monument Valley is in the middle of nowhere with virtually no infrastructure save two decent hotels with internal restaurants. But the solitude and beauty of the monuments at sunrise and sunset is unparalleled.

Have fun.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
333 reviews
96 helpful votes
3. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

Completely agree with Tumbleweedand Cactus.... so different... and I would make the same choice. But, only you can decide what fits with your travel plans and what you enjoy. Study some maps and look at some photos before you decide. We included Monument Valley on a trip through Utah and were very glad we added it.

www.virginia2utah.blogspot.com

Have a great trip.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
49 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

Yes, completely different places that really aren't comparable.

Sedona is a resort town with over 10,000 people living there. Sedona has hiking trails, yoga retreats, etc. I've heard experts say that one should spend about three nights there. I haven't been there in years, so I'm sure it's changed significantly as much of the western U.S. rapidly has.

Monument Valley is a small Navajo Tribal park in the middle of the desert. Outside of the hotel, there isn't infrastructure. Even the back country tour is on dirt roads. It's a place you could get away with spending one night and feel like it was a good amount of time. But it offers that one iconic scene of the American West. If conditions are right, your sunrise or sunset photos could be the best of your vacation.

Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
235 posts
44 reviews
36 helpful votes
5. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

Tumbleweed hit the nail on the head. Sedona is a “Resort” community. A community backdropped with beautiful red rock. Nothing wrong with that if that’s your thing. For me, the beauty of Monument Valley is absolutely jaw dropping. The sunrise and sunsets are unbelievable. The life style and story of the Navajo just adds to the experience. There are “resorts” all over the country. There is only one MV.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
193 reviews
414 helpful votes
6. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

It depends on how much time you want to spend imo. If you are looking at one day or overnight then monument valley would be better as you could see it in that amount of time. Whereas one day or overnight in Sedona is not enough time. You’d want two or three days at least.

Personally I like them both for different reasons and would be glad to visit each of them again.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
84 reviews
72 helpful votes
7. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

I go out of my way to see Moab and MV on my way to Sedona each year.

If you don't have a few days to enjoy Sedona, choose Monument Valley.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

Thanks for this

Arrive in Vegas from Australia and wanting to do a mini road trip from Thursday September 5 returning to Vegas by Tuesday 10th. Doesnt leave enough time to do both MV and Sedona on a round trip.I dont particularly want to spend the whole time driving. Any suggestions?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
49 reviews
20 helpful votes
9. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

You could look into Zion and Bryce. One night in Bryce and then three in Springdale for Zion.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
70,741 posts
249 reviews
249 helpful votes
10. Re: Monument Valley v Sedona

Where else are you going in your 5 days? As noted, Monument Valley is a one night/ full day destination. Sedona could easily fill your entire week.

Both places have much to offer, but it’s unfair to try to compare the two, let alone choose one over the other.

Reply to: Monument Valley v Sedona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted