We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from gc to monument valley and then page,,,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
drive from gc to monument valley and then page,,,

Mid-May, We will be going from GC to Monument valley, and staying at the view. I would like to book a Navajo tour guide while there, and I'm not sure when is best time,,in the evening/sunset when we arrive or the next day?. Are there interesting stops along the way from GC to mon valley? How long should I plan for the ride with/without stops? Can anyone recommend a good guide? I am not interested in very strenuous activity.

also, for the ride to page, where we will be staying at la quinta for 2 days, are there any good stops along the way?

after page, we head to flagstaff, so if you have suggestion s there, that would be great as well. I am planning on going to the observatory.

thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
23,579 posts
43 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: drive from gc to monument valley and then page,,,

It’s a three hour drive, no stops, from the Grand Canyon to Monument Valley. You may be interested in a stop at Cameron Trading Post and the Navajo Code Talkers display in the.Burger King in Kayenta. You will also be driving thru the Painted Desert. Note that you will,have a time change between the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. 12 noon at the Grand Canyon will be 1 PM at MV. Either time is good for a back country tour.

The drive to Page will take you back over part of the road you drove getting to MV. Not much in the rest of that drive except sage brush, jack rabbits and desert.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
69,500 posts
250 reviews
251 helpful votes
2. Re: drive from gc to monument valley and then page,,,

Connies 3 hour quote is from Desert View. Depending on how much time you have at the Grand Canyon National Park, you might want to add another 3 hours from the hotel to Desert View. Not much to distract you as you cross the Rez to MV.

Any native tour guide is fine. Choose a back country tour, and I’d do it after breakfast in the morning. Be at the View Hotel forv sunset and sunrise.

The drive back to Page is unremarkable. Getting from Page to Flag is a beautiful drive on 89 through painted desert.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: drive from gc to monument valley and then page,,,

do you need to book the indian guide in advance for mv or can i just do it when i get to view hotel?

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
69,500 posts
250 reviews
251 helpful votes
4. Re: drive from gc to monument valley and then page,,,

You can usually pick up a tour on arrival. But if you know what tour you want to do (back country) then you should book in advance.

Reply to: drive from gc to monument valley and then page,,,
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted