We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice for my forthcoming trip to Grand canyon, Page, Moab, Bryce, and then on to Las vegas. I will be travelling with my 13 year old son and the dates are from 2 April to 17 April (includes the Easter period).

My specific question is, is it worth staying the night in Mexican Hat or should i push on straight to Moab?

Also, what are the must-see sights in the area.

Thank you for your time and recommendations,

KAH

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,090 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

The drive from Page to Moab is easy enough to do in a day. However, you should seriously think about a stop for at least a tour at Monument Valley. You could overnight there, or drive on to Mexican Hat. Also near MH the slight detour up Moki Dugway and/or through Valley of the Gods is something that I'm certain your son would enjoy.

So to answer your question, staying in MH is a good idea as long as you have a plan to occupy the time there. Otherwise, just miss all that stuff and drive straight to Moab.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

If you've got the time and are still devoting a few days to Moab then, yes, take a night in Mexican Hat. This will give you time to do RedRox's suggestions; Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, Moki Dugway plus Goosenecks SP and maybe Muley Point as well.

In Mexican Hat try the San Juan Inn & Trading Post but don't expect luxury.

BTW We hope you're not going to hit the Jeep Safari at Easter in Moab. You'll really want to work around this.

3. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:10 pm, February 24, 2009
Brussels, Belgium
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

Thank you all so much. So what I see is that a night should be spent either in Monument Valley or in Mexican Hat. I'm probably going to go with the MV option.

So if I might beg a little more of your time, what do you all think of this itinerary:

5 Apr Page. I’ve booked accom. up to here only.

6 Apr. Monument Valley (as per Red Rox’s suggestion -MV, Valley of the Gods, Moki Dugway plus Goosenecks SP and maybe Muley Point as well)

7-9 Apr Moab (Rafting, Arches, Horse-riding (?) and ??)

10 April Tourrey(Don't know what to do there)

11–12 Apr Bryce (Hope I can still get accom cos it's Easter)

and then I’ve got until v. early 17th Apr for my return flight from Las Vegas.

I think 4 nights in Las Vegas is too much. Should I put an extra night’s accommodation in somewhere before Las Vegas? If so, where?

OR, should I try to change my return flight, departing from Las Vegas to San Francisco and then try to get to see Yosemite? Maybe it’s better to do one place really well, rather than scratch the surface of two? What do you guys think?

A couple of contributing factors that may help - -I’m travelling with my 13-year-old son, so I’m doing all the driving. We are pretty active and want to do stuff rather than just drive (...only so many conversations that you can have about how’s school going, movies, the latest groups, etc.)

Many thanks for any advice that you can give regarding what to do, what to see and where to stay.

Kind regards,

KAH

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

In Moab include a visit to Canyonlands Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Point. Drive up rt128 to the Fisher Tower area. Drive down the Potash road and hike to Corona arch.

You'll want to stop at Torrey so that you can visit Capitol Reef NP and also so that you can enjoy the drive the next day along scenic hwy 12. (and be sure to visit Goblin valley state park along the way to Torrey).

Will you have already seen Zions? It would be the next logical place to go after Bryce. You can stay at the Lodge in the Park or in the town of Springdale, just outside.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

while in Moab I bet your son would love a sunset hummer tour - it was one of the many highlights of our trip.

In Torrey I recommend the Cowboy Homestead Cabins - the are very comfortable and close to the Park.

I would do my horseback riding in Bryce - do the 1/2 day ride - its incredible.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

Why don't you extend your stay in Torrey to two nights so you have a whole day to explore Capitol Reef NP - then take the day to head down to Bryce via one of the most scenic by ways - Route 12. Be sure to stop plenty along the way.

happy travels.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,090 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

Agreeing about using time in Torrey to explore Capital Reef NP and then after Bryce be sure to spend a couple of days at Zion NP. For accomodations at Bryce you should be able to find rooms at Rubys Inn just outside the park. At Zion the closest town is Springdale, also very close with shuttle service and all services. Lots of motel options. The Desert Pearl is little pricey but gets great reviews here.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,379 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

I can give you some advice... spend 2 nights in Vegas! That will be plenty. Use the other days in the many awesome places you are visiting.

Where are you visiting April 2-5?

5 Apr Page-rent some personal water craft or a boat. Also consider a float trip on the Colorado River out of Lee's Ferry.

6 Apr. Antelope Canyon in morning then off to Monument Valley- your teen may find this kind of boring! I would spend more time at Lake Powell

7 Drive to Moab. Stop and see Edge of Cedars State Park and Newspaper Rock. Moab: rafting, jeep tour.

8 Moab- Arches all day

9 Canyonlands all day

10 Apr Capital Reef and Torrey

11 Bryce

12 Apr Bryce

13 Zion

14 Zion

15 Vegas

16 Vegas

17 Depart

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Page to Moab-worth spending a night at Mexican hat? + Must s

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thank you all for your help, time and advice with my trip planning. Not long to go until our departure. Thanks again everyone,

KAH