We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grove City
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

I'm trying to get info on the hike to red canyon. Tumbleweedandcactus suggested I post on this forum for maximum exposure, thanks t and c. I will be visiting the end of June, but I will not be driving a 4x4, so I will have to hike. I know the canyon is off highway 89, north of Kanab, but I am unsure of where to park and exactly what route I take to hike to the canyon. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

This should help you out.

www.zionnational-park.com/peek-a-boo.htm

Grove City
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

Thanks powderglut, that is some good info. Unfortunatly, I will not be driving a 4x4. Is it possible the ATV road is doable with a regular passenger car? I have read you can hike from a parking area near rt. 89, but can't get specifics on where that area is or what direction you take to hike from there. Happy hiking.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

This site gives coordinates for start of the hike on RT 89.

americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/…

Grove City
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

Thanks powderglut, that's what I was looking for.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

We tried to hike it today and saw another couple also. Found the parking lot and tried to drive the trail in a small 4x4. Had to quit after only 1/8 of a mile-very deep sand. I had directions but it was very difficult hiking due to the deep sand. Off the road/cross-country wasn't much better. Finally after about 2.5 miles we could see the canyon but couldn't find our way to it because of a barbed wire fence. ATV road only and good luck trying to find access into the canyon. Even talked to a local and he couldn't tell us how to get in. The other couple didn't find it either. Bring LOTS of water and shoes for sand-slogging-the uphill going back got tough. Not a fun hike and disappointing if you can't find an entry point. See if you can get coordinates for the entry into the canyon before you head out.

Grove City
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

Thanks LJRBM, that news is good to get, so I am aware of the problems, but I must admit it is very disappointing. First I've heard of a fence blocking the progress. Had to be terrible frustrating to hike that distance only to be unable to see what you hiked for. Considering your comments, I may look for an alternative canyon to hike while in Utah/Arizona. Hope the rest of your trip was great as there is no denying that area of the country is spectacular. Wishing many happy hikes to you.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,425 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

Thank you for the report LJRBM (and welcome to the forums). We were thinking of doing this last weekend, but the reports of the sandy road decided against it for me. Sounds like we made a good choice not to go. Sorry you weren't able to enjoy it.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

When going to South Coyote Buttes or White Pocket there are numerous fence gates to cross. That doesn't mean you have to turn around. They are to keep livestock from crossing these areas. I would assume the same for Red Canyon. A topo map is always handy and a handheld GPS with a few waypoints might have made life a little easier too. This is a legitimate area to visit.

9. Re: red canyon (peek-a-boo) near Kanab, Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 30, 2014