We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanab to Wahweep Trail

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Kanab to Wahweep Trail

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how long, in time, the drive is from Kanab to the trailhead to see the wahweep hoodoos in grand escalante?

Also, how long, in time (I realize it differs for different people, but a general ballpark figure) the hike would be to go out and back from the hoodoos?

We are trying to figure out if we could manage going there and doing the hike in the morning and still have time for a couple hours of volunteering at Best Friends in the afternoon. Thanks!

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanab to Wahweep Trail

www.zionnational-park.com/wahweap-hoodoos.htm

Wahweap hoodoos are North of Big Water. Big Water is about an hours drive on US 89 from Kanab.

I haven't hiked this area so cannot advise you on what to expect. It would depend on your hiking abilities and how far you want to go. There are forum members that have some experience here, so I will bump you up and hopefully you will get some additional comments.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanab to Wahweep Trail

Wahweap Hoodoos are a nine mile hike. That plus the time you'll want to explore and photograph after you get there and the hour or so drive there and back I would plan most of the day for it.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanab to Wahweep Trail

However,,, if you wanted a taste and not the longer trail, then you could reach the Paria toadstools in half an hour or less from Kanab (milemarker 18 or 19, there is a small turnoff and parking area on the north) and take the 1/2 mile hike from the highway. This you could do in a morning leaving you time in the afternoon.

toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanab to Wahweep Trail

Thanks so much for this tip! I'll look up the toadstools, thanks!

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanab to Wahweep Trail

Here's a website I like for those toadstools:

naturalbornhikers.com/trails/toadstoolhoodoo…

LIke Kbecjeans said, skip Wahweap.

6. Re: Kanab to Wahweep Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, December 17, 2013