We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot in May?

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hot in May?

Is the Kanab area hot in May. We are planning to be there May 21 - 27, volunteering at Best Friends and going to some of the parks. Any advice on what type of weather to expect?

Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot in May?

It can get hot, though not usually as hot as the summer months. But plan on anything depending on the weather. Could be in the 70's or 90's, or maybe colder if there is a storm. So best thing would be to check right before coming to see what the forecast is. www.ksl.com has about as good a forecast as you can get. Go to weather and then St George for the closet to Kanab.

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hot in May?

Thanks for the info!

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hot in May?

ANother question - how difficult/scary are the switchback roads around Zion? Just my daughter and I on this trip. Don't want to drive off any mountains!

When first driving to Kanab from Vegas, is there an alternate route rather than going through the tunnel? We will get to Zion at the end of our trip but are spending the first several days at Best Friends. Thanks again

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hot in May?

I personally don't think the switchbacks are bad, but I can see where some people might. I've never heard of anyone who had a problem on them.

But if you want a different route to Kanab you can turn right in Hurricane and follow ut 59/ az 389. You'll pass Pipe Springs NM which is worth a visit and you could take a detour to Coral Springs Sand dunes as well. It is a little longer but considering the traffic through Zions might not take any more time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hot in May?

ps, by problem on the switchbacks I mean no one that I've heard of has driven off them :-) You'll be fine.

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hot in May?

No, but my daughter may kill me for saying "slow down" "Oh My God" "Look out" etc since she'll have to drive! (As you can tell, I'm not too good with heights.)

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hot in May?

The road for the east entrance is narrow and very switchbacky, especially after the tunnel--but I found last week that it was no problem because the scenery is so beautiful that everybody was voluntarily driving really, really slow! There are lots of turnouts (at least before the tunnel, I don't remember afterwards) and you'll want to stop a few times for pictures I'm sure. I'm a nervous mountain driver but due to the slow speeds I didn't find anything scary.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hot in May?

<<I'm a nervous mountain driver>> O boy, I'll drive next year;)

Gma, most switchbacks are west of Zion tunnel but scenery is so breathtaking you won't be bothered. Last time we visited in may we had gorgeous weather, not to hot and not too cold. Kudos for you by volunteering Best Friends! Btw no springs at Coral Pink Sand dunes SP and not pink either in the daytime but a nice sidetrip. Maybe Cedar Breaks NM is open the time you're there and Bryce Canyon NP is a must visit of course.

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hot in May?

Sorry Vnrose, that was meant for Kbec but she isn't a nervous mountaindriver at all I guess.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hot in May?

Coral Pink Sand Dunes,,,,yes, thank you Tet :-) And they are more orange than pink really.

I actually am a nervous mountain driver, (My grip on the wheel was white knuckled and I had to remind myself to breath going down the Moki Dugway) and when we are really on a narrow-just-barely-room-for-one-car dirt road which looks like it might slide down the mountain if you give it half a chance with a cliff going straight up on one side and a cliff going straight down on the other side, which hubby likes to take me on, I am usually on the floor with my eyes closed :-) (I've never mentioned any of those roads on TA). The switchbacks at Zions are no big deal.....It is the Shafer trail that I need to do at least once in my lifetime that has me very nervous!