We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have experience with Paria Outpost?

cheyenne
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone have experience with Paria Outpost?

We're planning a trip to the Paria Canyon area early April and were considering contracting with Paria Outpost in Big Water for a day trip or two. Just wondering if anyone has worked with them, and what you thought...

arizona
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone have experience with Paria Outpost?

Hi, We have a large newspaper article describing his services as a guide to The Wave. Very satisfactory according to the writer. We are thinking of hiring him to guide on our trip to hike The Wave in May. I have hiked thru all of Paria Canyon. Are you doing a thru hike of Paria or just day trips? Contact him at the Outpost because he does guide hikes throughout the area. There are other guide services out oof Page you could checkout. The outpost is right in the Paria area though. Enjoy

New York
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone have experience with Paria Outpost?

Thank you so much for the info! Because of you, I had an amazing time in Paria! I stayed in a room at the outpost - small and basic, but clean, and it is a different experience then if you stayed in a hotel.

I was lucky to win a permit to the Wave and had an absolutely amazing time guided by Kurt, who works as a guide for Steve at the outpost. You should get a guide for the Wave - you see so much more and the surrounding areas are also gorgeous! The next day I joyned a group (lead by Kurt) to White Pocket - another great day!

Susan and Steve are very helpful, the dinner in the restaurant is very good, and my overall experience was a memorable vacation! I will go again for sure!

arizona
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone have experience with Paria Outpost?

Hi, Glad you had a great time at the Wave. We are scheduled to go on May 9. We had to opt out of the outpost since they only had the one room. My hiking friend and I (not partners) really sleep better, each having our own bed. We are staying at a B&B in Kanab. We wanted to hire a guide but really couldn't afford it. We leave on June 17 for 6 weeks in Africa to track Mountain Gorillas and travel some of the Africa we haven't seen on our last trip. My friend is a widow and my husband is a recliner addict and I am and have been an avid hiker for a very long time. How much was the guide that you hired? There are so many great hikes and so little time. If you have the time (about 2-3 weeks) do the Coast to Coast in England. It is also a unique experience. I could go on and on - I must shut up. Carole

cheyenne
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone have experience with Paria Outpost?

Thanks to all of you who responded to my initial question! Thought I'd post again after actually taking the trip and spending a day with Paria Outfitters (and another interesting traveler, Mathias from Germany). We were extremely pleased and will definitely rely on them again when we return. We were awed by the beautiful country Steve showed us, and he filled our time with interesting stories and anecdotes of the area. We were also pleased that the miles we traveled on those potentially treacherous sandy roads were on his vehicle rather than ours. He is quite generous with his broad knowledge of the region and one could hike for days exploring places he told us about. We finished the day with a delicious brisket feast with he and his partner Susan, swapping more stories of places traveled and yet to go...

And - if you are looking to overnight locally, try Dreamkatchers' Inn in Big Water - an excellent B&B with service extraordinaire!

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone have experience with Paria Outpost?

How much was the guide for the day to the Wave?

cheyenne
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone have experience with Paria Outpost?

$350 for a full day for two people, including lunch and dinner..

7. Re: Anyone have experience with Paria Outpost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 28, 2009