We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polar Express Grand CAnyon Or Heber?

CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Polar Express Grand CAnyon Or Heber?

My Husband and I are looking into taking our children on a Polar Express ride. I'm curious at how the Heber and the Grand Canyon Versions of the ride differ. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Polar Express Grand CAnyon Or Heber?

The Grand Canyon Railway polar express is at their base of operations in Williams, AZ, not at GC. It's wildly popular, and might already be sold out for 2006, so if you have any interest at all, I'd check with them asap.

Not familiar with Heber trip.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polar Express Grand CAnyon Or Heber?

The Heber version is quite short (half hour +), includes an elf telling stories, hot chocolate, and Santa Claus. The Heber Valley railway is historic. The train cars are old fashioned. If your grandkids are older than 8, they would probably find it kind of corny, but younger kids are totally hooked. The trips sell out locally, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell out this far ahead of time. As a matter of fact I'm not even sure if you can get them this far ahead.

If you bring the grandkids this far, you should look into staying in Park City (20 min. from Heber) for a day or two.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polar Express Grand CAnyon Or Heber?

I rode the Heber train on Dec 2 2007 with all three of my kids. Oh, the hostess in our car was sooo bad. It seemed like she was hosting for the first time in her life--not only that, she was totally NOT into it. She would say something and roll her eyes--so much for Christmas magic. She was reading from a script--and apparently she could not read all that well. We had three elves, and poor girls seemed to also be doing this for the first time. They spent most of the time asking each other what to do next. At one point when there was a complete silence and most of the passengers were looking at their watches, the hostess sent the elves to the other cars to see what they were doing. So, the elves came back 5 min later with couple of new games--I was nothing short of SHOCKED at what was happening during the ride. Beware--it is not 30 min--it is 90 min, and those were loooong 90 min. Even my 6 year-old who usually is very forgiving gave the ride 4 out of 10.

In all fairness, I had a friend who was in another car and she and her daughter had a blast. She said the host was very engaging, they had games, sang songs, etc. Well, I guess we had bad bad luck with our car assignments (we were in car 7508).

I contacted the management right after the ride. The lady in charge was already gone for the day but I was promised to be given a call back. 11 days later I have heard nothing. In addition, I left a message to the marketing director but you guessed right--I have not heard back.

This horrific experience came at a cost of $100 plus having to take half a day off from work to drive to Heber. This of course is nothing compared to having to subject my children to a big dissapointment...

I will post an update if I ever hear from the railroad management.

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polar Express Grand CAnyon Or Heber?

I had a friend who just went last week to the late show with 3 small children. She said it was a blast but it was packed. So, if you are thinking about going just be sure to make reservations in time. She went on the 7pm ride and didnt get home until almost midnight. I think it was about 2 hours. I wonder if there are different time lenghts for different rides.

5. Re: Polar Express Grand CAnyon Or Heber?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, September 15, 2009