We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heber City UT Scenic Drives

Which Heber City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mashpee...
Level Contributor
52 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Heber City UT Scenic Drives

Will be in Heber City week of 8/22 helping son and daughter in law pack up and move to a new house.

My girl friend is going out to help, so we're taking one day to ride the Heber Valley RR; another day we'd like to do a scenic drive. Any suggestions for a nice ride in the area that doesn't involve climing dirt mountain roads. We were thinking Big or Little Cottonwood.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,487 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heber City UT Scenic Drives

A nice fully paved drive would take you down through Provo Canyon to Sundance, then on the Alpine Scenic Loop east through the mountains to Timpanogos Cave, and out into the Salt Lake Basin. From there you could go up to Little or Big Cottonwood Canyon, double back and up I-80 to Park City and back to Heber.

My recommendation, though, is to bear with a little bit of downhill dirt roads and make your loop back through Big Cottonwood Canyon, up over Guardsman Pass and down to Midway.

The loop I've described would make for a really good day. A nice lunch stop would be Thanksgiving Point on I-15 between canyons.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heber City UT Scenic Drives

You would be very close to the Mirror Lake Highway which goes through the Western Uintas. The drive wouldn't take all day, but maybe combine it with a lunch at the lake. Head down to the Christmas Meadows road, which is a wonderful little side canyon. You'd have to come back the same way, but it is still a nice drive. There are short and long hikes and a stop at Provo falls might be nice, though late summer there won't be much water.

You could also include a trip up over Wolf Creek Pass from Francis to Hanna. Nice rural paved mountain road. Come back along 40 past Strawberry reservoir.

Though I like Tumbleweeds suggestion as well.

3. Re: Heber City UT Scenic Drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 04, 2010