We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Hot for Slot Canyons in June?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Too Hot for Slot Canyons in June?

I have heard it can get very hot in June and that visiting the slot canyons at that time there is no shade and it will not be a good time to go. Any thoughts? (That is when the kids are available, so if it is too hot we will go somewhere else.)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,422 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Hot for Slot Canyons in June?

While it can get hot, especially in June/July, my feeling is that it's always manageable. Slot canyons do, in fact, offer more opportunity for shade than open desert or rock hiking and that is a big difference maker.

Most of the slots in Escalante area do require some unprotected desert hiking. And, to that end, your point is very valid. But overall, I wouldn't change your plan.

Others may have a different opinion.

We were just down there over July 4th. We weren't with hikers on that trip but it was actually extremely pleasant temperature wise.

Did you have some particular hikes in mind?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Hot for Slot Canyons in June?

Not really sure. I was thinking about doing canyoneering there for one day from Bryce (through a guiding company). Not sure how long it takes to get there. The thought was I would drop Grand Canyon from my trip because it is so far out of the way and may not be as fun for my boys (10 and 13). Is it possible to go to Escalante Slot Canyons and do canyoneering for one day to and back from Bryce? Or would we have to stay over night in Escalante?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,422 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too Hot for Slot Canyons in June?

A commute from Bryce with a canyoneering trek in Escalante would be possible but a really long day. There are many reasonable day routes you can take in Escalante canyons without a guide like Peekaboo and Spooky, which is a great introductory hike you could manage yourself if you have basic outdoor skills. If you do use a guide service, see what they offer in terms of trips that would add a bit more adventure - with rappelling, etc. But if you're going to do that, I would recommend staying in Escalante so you have a more convenient base. You may also find some options near Bryce, too. Not sure as we've done more of our canyon exploring up in the San Rafael area.

Also, there are great adventures in the Zion area, as well.

Have fun.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too Hot for Slot Canyons in June?

Hubby and I hiked to and around Peekaboo and Spookey Gulches last year on the 4th of July. We sort of got lost and ended up wandering around for a couple of hours. It was around 100 degress and was scorching hot. There is some shade once you're in the slot canyon, but there is a good bit of hiking in the sun to get to the slots and back to the trailhead. We brought plenty of water and managed okay. BUT, we live in the desert and are acclimated to the dry, hot climate. I'm not sure how someone from the east coast would fare under the same conditions.

Make sure you have plenty of water, wear hats and sunscreen and light clothing. Going early in the morning helps too. I agree with Tumbleweed that staying in Escalante would be more convenient than staying in Bryce. That way you could get an earlier start.

Edited: 2:07 pm, August 16, 2012
5. Re: Too Hot for Slot Canyons in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 20, 2013