We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Escalante, UT to Badger, CA

Gainesville, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Escalante, UT to Badger, CA

I am planning a trip from LA to the Grand Canyon, North Rim for one night then on to Escalante to explore for 4 nights - end of June with a 12 year old. I'm not sure which choices we will make in terms of day trips while in Escalante yet. Am thinking of upper or lower Calf Creek, Bryce Canyon, Escalante river hike, a slot canyon and Boulder.

Then we travel west to meet family near Badger, CA for another 4 nights. I am unsure what route to take to get there. Whether to go the northern route through Yosemite or the southern route back through Las Vegas. On Google Maps it looks like it will take 12 to 14 hours depending on the route. We will do this over two days.

I am looking for advice on where to stay going across - one night - and which route would be better/more interesting. We would like to do a short hike/adventure the first day, time permitting. We can leave very early and want to make the most of the trip.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Escalante, UT to Badger, CA

Your plans for the escalante area look fine. Be sure to check out the visitor center there for more info and up to date road conditions.

As far as traveling to Badger that is a tough one. End of June will really be too hot to spend any time at DeathValley which would be a natural half way stop.

Wandering your way through Nevada going west at Cedar City and heading to Mono Lake before going across Yosemite will also be long and boring and quite possibly hot until you reach the mountains. But I think I would go that way first. I have driven 93 north from LV and it wasn't bad.

Either direction the best place for a short stop would be Cedar Breaks. There are some nice places to stay if you head up Mammoth Lakes area just south of Mono Lake. But that looks like about a 10 hr drive. I've never been to Tonapah, so can't say whether I would feel comfortable there or not.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,225 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Escalante, UT to Badger, CA

To add to Kbecjeans, the northern route would be interesting albeit longer than the Vegas-Bakersfield route. The stretch of desert is fascinating to me. But it's definitely longer. And the stretch across the desert is VERY, VERY remote. Bring lots of water and probably food. And be super, super careful about filling your tank when you can. There's not much for services.

There are motels in Tonopah and you could stay there, but it's not the best stop. If you can, I would push on to Mammoth Lakes.

If you go the southern route, Vegas would be a good spot to stop.

3. Re: Escalante, UT to Badger, CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, November 14, 2010