We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please don't rely on GPS in the remote wilderness

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Please don't rely on GPS in the remote wilderness

therecordherald.com/news/x902824400/Local-co…

A couple left the paved road in Big Water, following their GPS system. When they couldn't continue due to rainout they ended up on another worse road unprepared.

This is another reminder that GPS, and other online maps may not have your best interests in mind when you leave paved roads. They got out, but suffered from the experience.

Please, Please always check with the visitors centers first for the latest updates and road information before heading off highway.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,505 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please don't rely on GPS in the remote wilderness

What were they trying to do, go on the road from near Big Water to Kodachrome Basin? The article I read said they were headed to Torrey. Lots of those GPS systems installed in cars are garbage. Take you out of your way, not the most direct route, or on wrong roads. Maybe they should have consulted a good old AAA folding paper map! And a ranger also!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please don't rely on GPS in the remote wilderness

I think they started off on the Smoky mountain road. But why they thought that would get them where they wanted to go in a chevy cobalt I have no idea

"Consult a map and a ranger also!" amen!

3. Re: Please don't rely on GPS in the remote wilderness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, September 30, 2009