We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in winter from San Diego to Brian Head

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
127 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in winter from San Diego to Brian Head

Has anyone done this before? I'm curious about the roads - I understand Brian Head is approximately 3 hours from Vegas. Will we need chains if we do not have a four-wheel drive? We are planning a trip for next December (2014). Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

2 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,809 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in winter from San Diego to Brian Head

If you need chains, it probably won't matter anyway. The recent snow storm in the area north of LV forced the highways to close. Make your plans and just watch the weather forecast in the days before you go. Odds are, you'll be fine. But if a storm blows in, it could bring everything to a halt.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in winter from San Diego to Brian Head

Welcome to the TA forums Amy H.

As Redrox says if it is snowing while you are traveling best just to wait it out.

You could have great and clear roads all the way to Parowan however and then the road up to Brian Head may be snowy. I'm not sure if there are restrictions for the canyon in bad weather like they have up the Cottonwood canyons during the winter... Those restrictions limit travel to 4x4 and /or chains when the road is bad. But that is usually only during a storm as well (which certainly can happen in the canyon/resort and not in the valley). They do clear the roads as soon as possible though and then it is open to all comers.

SO, if you have chains it would be a good idea to bring them. Be sure to practice putting them on though before hand, they can be tricky. If you don't have them, I'm not sure I would bother to get them.... maybe just check the weather before coming to decide.

For the most part you would rarely have any chance of snow until just north of St George. However even LV and St George get it occasionally and it can close them down since they aren't geared up for it. The snow usually hits though closer to Cedar City.

Reply to: Driving in winter from San Diego to Brian Head
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted