We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Brian Head Resort to Grand Canyon South Rim

Which Brian Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
C T
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Brian Head Resort to Grand Canyon South Rim

Hi,

I would like to drive on a rental car from Brian Head Resort to the South Rim of Grand Canyon during late December. Could someone give me some advice on the best and easy route? I read about potential road closure and heavy snow conditions. Do I need snow chain if I have a 4WD? Will there be people to help me put up chains when needed or I need to learn how to use them before hand. Many thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,180 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Brian Head Resort to Grand Canyon South Rim

While there's no way to predict, the most likely snow scenario would be right at and around Brian Head. The shortest route would be following SR 143 to Panguitch to 89 and then south towards Kanab, Page and Grand Canyon. You can also head back on SR 143 to Parowan then I-15 to Hurricane then cutting over to 89.

Don't worry about chains, the rental car company is not likely to allow them. A 4WD would be nice or at least a front wheel drive. Most importantly, though, just watch weather in the days prior to your travel and ask locally on any closures.

Have fun.

C T
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Brian Head Resort to Grand Canyon South Rim

Many thanks TumbleweedandCactus. Between the two routes, which one is easier to drive? I have not driven on snowy road for a few years. Is the route via Parowan and I-15 open all year round?

Detroit, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Brian Head Resort to Grand Canyon South Rim

Does anyone know if the driving conditions from Vegas to Brian Head UT in Feb is a bad dangerous idea?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Brian Head Resort to Grand Canyon South Rim

Alot of the route is interstate highway.Unless there is a major storm going on while you are driving, I think you will be fine.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Brian Head Resort to Grand Canyon South Rim

And since Brianhead is a ski resort, even if it's snowing they keep the roads plowed. Gotta make sure the skiers can get there. You just have to be careful driving on the slick icy roads.

C T
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Brian Head Resort to Grand Canyon South Rim

The last stretch of road from Parowan on Highway 143 to Brian Head can be icy at times. You may want to drive an AWD or bring tire chains along, just in case.

Reply to: Driving from Brian Head Resort to Grand Canyon South Rim
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brian Head