We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

Dear Hikers,

If you had to choose 2 of 3 of these hikes, which 2 would you go for? I will not have time to do all 3, so any advice would be helpful.

16 replies to this topic
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

Coyote Gulch should really be done as an overnight backpack if you want to see all the good stuff. Confluence of Coyote and the Escalante river, Stevens Arch, Coyote Natural Bridge and Jacob Hamblin Arch. Were you trying to see this in a day? I'd think about spending a night.

Red Breaks and Upper Muley will be long day hikes, especially if you plan on seeing most of the best features of both. But... they are doable as a day trip with early starts. You will save a bit of walking if you can start Upper Muley at the Strike Vally Parking area. You will likely need 4WD with high clearance to get in there.

If you plan on hiking the Big West Fork of Red Breaks, I'd go in from the top on the Old Sheffield rd off of rt 12 instead of the bottom at Harris Wash. You could hike it down thru the best slots and then return up on the higher rim area. Red Breaks has 6 forks from the top so there can be a lot to see depending on how you wanted to hike it.

They're all good. Can't go wrong doing any of them.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

I saw on your other post that you can spend a night. It's hard for me to tell you one is better than the other. But ... if you can do Coyote in the middle of the week and not on a weekend, I'd do it, and then Red Breaks from the top.

Not easy for me to tell you to skip Upper Muley because of all the arches, slots and colorful rock you'd see. But I think those 2 together, will give you the best of the Hole in the Rock experience.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

Thanks, good tip about Coyote during the week; from our tentative itinerary it looks ok. I was pretty set on heading to the Cosmic Ashtray from Old Sheffield, then heading SW to Red Breaks, more the traditional route, but avoiding the slog from Harris Wash. We have only really read about the West Fork; and yes, we would probably want to spend the night either/both times, rather than a long day hike.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

We went in from the top to Ashtray from Old Sheffield Rd. You will be on the east side so it may be a lot easier to explore that side. I'd get an early start if you want to see the best part of the slots. You will use up 5+ hrs to Ashtray and back.

On Coyote we dropped into it from the crack,set up camp and day hiked up and down canyon. We returned back up the same way. Just easier than carrying a big pack around. Crack is shortest rt.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

Wow, heck of a long hike to the Ashtray; other reports made it sound like 2-3 hours. So, we would def need to camp near the south entrance to the forks, then get up early and do that; it doesn't sound like the two are possible as a long day hike (even with an overnight at the very end, or at least not an enjoyable one long day hike). My sons want some adventure, so we will probably park at the FortyMile Ridge TH, hike to crack and loop back through the canyon. I have seen v. good reports done this way. We would not bring the kitchen sink; 25 lbs/person max, as it seems water is available.

Any advice on a handheld GPS?

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

What kind of vehicle will you have? It's been awhile since I've done Coyote Gulch, but when we were there we were not able to park at the Forty Mile Ridge trailhead (didn't have 4WD and it was really sandy). I would just double check that. We did a loop from the Coyote Gulch trailhead.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

It will take you about 2 1/2 hrs from the car to the Ashtray even with gps. That is why I say start early if you want to see more stuff. Take a topo with you so you can see what you will explore next in that area.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

I have arranged a rental car, a Ford Escape or similar; Alamo wouldn't commit to reserving a 4WD, even though I asked for it. I will call them ahead of our departure to see if they can get us what we want, as your point is very present in my thinking. Not having 4wd forces us to make certain choices.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

Ok, that is helpful. We will have topo maps printed in color for all the possible hikes, so that if necessary we can go with plan B or C and still have a great time.

southern utah
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?

If you have 4wd you can drive through Harris Wash to a spot near the doughnut maker. (Hate the ashtray reference) the road is not part of the wilderness. Both sides are. It is called a cherry stem and it allows access for ranchers.

Reply to: Red Breaks, Upper Muley Twist or Coyote Gulch?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted