We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter at Cedar Mesa?

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Winter at Cedar Mesa?

Hello,

We'd like to do some hiking around Cedar Mesa around the end of December. Is that even possible (or is it possible this year)? I realize it'll be cold, but is the ground covered with deep snow and ice?

Thank you

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,977 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter at Cedar Mesa?

Having done it, I would generally steer you elsewhere. While I don't know conditions right now, in general, there is snow on the ground by this time of year. We've done some hikes in the snow before over the holidays, but it's pretty arduous. Definitely get local conditions. And note that Cedar Mesa is quite a bit higher than Bluff with a completely different weather system.

If you do go and there is snow, be prepared for both snow and ice, which is particularly treacherous on the slickrock. Do look for trails that offer open sunlight. And have GPS to help you find your way. Wayfinding is a bit more challenging than in the summertime.

Have fun.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter at Cedar Mesa?

I did some winter hiking near Bluff last year during the solstice (right after the mammoth burning!) and even though it was cold, it was sunny and beautiful. The roads were dry, some snow on hills and in shady places.

Cedar Mesa is much higher! But with good weather it can be done. Dress appropriately, hike carefully and you should be fine.

I really enjoyed seeing all the potholes with iced-over water; it really helped me to understand how they can be formed from more than just "running" water.

Have a great time!

*Pixie*

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter at Cedar Mesa?

Last year at this time on Cedar Mesa it was tough and really not a lot of fun. As PixieC has said, down by Bluff and in Butler Wash it was much more pleasant. Having said that this year it is a lot warmer right now possibly meaning less snow, more mud.

4. Re: Winter at Cedar Mesa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, December 16, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Bluff