We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Waco

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
296 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging near Waco

I am looking for advice on the 2 holiday Inn locations(bellmead and woodway) -any suggestion on which location is going to be the easiest to get to hwy 77? we will need to cut over to hwy 77 off of I35/from our hotel location-looking for easiest to navigate

Also do you happen to know how long of a drive it is from waco to schulenburg?

we will be staying for one night and would love some restaurant reccomendations close to one of the 2 holiday inns

Thanks in advance

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging near Waco

The good news is that Waco is easy to navigate in general. :)

The location in Bellmead is better from a closest-to-the-highway perspective, however I'd drive the extra couple of miles out of the way and stay in the Woodway location. It's a newer hotel and in an area I feel more comfortable in.

Randmcnally.com tells me it's a 2 hour and 35 minute drive to Schulenburg from Waco.

There are ample restaurants to chose from near either Holiday Inn location. There are typical chain restaurants such as Rudy's BBQ, Don Carlos, Hooters, Chili's, etc. all up and down I-35 (in between both Holiday Inn locations). For a more "unique" experience, try the Elite Circle Grill (my computer is giving me a malware warning so I won't post the link) or George's (more casual): http://www.georgesrestaurant.com/. There is a strip of restaurants in the "Warehouse District" which has many good choices - Bangkok Royal for Thai food and Diamondback Steakhouse are my favorites there... also a Ninfa's.

Near the Bellmead location of the Holiday Inn is the newly opened Collins Street Bakery which is open for a baked goods breakfast. Of course there's a Starbucks nearby and an IHOP, depending on how much time you want to invest in eating breakfast.

Near the Woodway location is a small hard-to-find restaurant called Leal's - a Waco institution serving the best breakfast burritos in town.

Hope that helps... I'll be very happy to answer any other questions you have. :)

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
296 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging near Waco

Thanks so much for your reply-I don't know why I didn't think to google or rand mcnally our destination.

I appreciate all the info on the hotel locations and restaurant recs. This really helped us make our decision.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging near Waco

You're welcome! Please let me know if you want any further suggestions - I was sort of general with the restaurant recommendations. If you have any special considerations (like need restaurants open late or wanting to have good barbecue, etc.) just say the word! :D

Just to make sure you know... Hwy 77 is a two lane road with stoplights in towns along the way which (IMHO) makes estimating the time difficult. You never know if you're going to get stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle for 20 miles. My experience is that Rand-McNally somehow makes allowances for that, but it's good to know that the 2hours and 35minutes isn't something you should bet the farm on.

4. Re: Lodging near Waco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 08, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Waco