We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restuarants/ Places to Eat in Tyler

Healdsburg...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restuarants/ Places to Eat in Tyler

Does anyone have any reccomendations for places to eat in and or around Tyler ,Texas? also San Antonio and Austin? Any places we shoudl try for sure?

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restuarants/ Places to Eat in Tyler

Well, I am from Tyler, but you are very limited in food choices there.

If you want country type cooking I would try The Shed in Edom (near Tyler). They have great pies, but I would call ahead to check times they are open. I have heard people rave about Kiepersol Estates (it's a vineyard, b&b, & restaurant).

Central Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restuarants/ Places to Eat in Tyler

In Austin, eat at any one of the Chuy's Hwy 183 or Barton Springs Rd(also one in Round Rock on I-35). It's a funky Tex-Mex place. Try the chili rellanos with the deluxe tomatillo sauce. They are crunchy and great!

K

Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restuarants/ Places to Eat in Tyler

We were in Tyler this past weekend (10/27/07).

I recommend Hickory Fare - a barbecue restaurant on Glenwood. The barbecue sauce is of the sweet and mild variety. I had smoked sausage with buttered new potatoes, fried okra, peach cobbler and iced tea. Everything cooked just right and the portions were huge. The staff at the restaurant were very friendly and helpful in giving us directions to different places we were trying to find. The restaurant was also very clean and the atmosphere ambient.

I would not recommend going to the Denny's on 323. The staff was friendly enough - especially Jeremy who was helping us with directions. However, the restaurant is dirty, the booths cramped, the tables uncomfortable, the service slow, and the food only barely edible.

In Austin -

My favorite place in Austin is Kerby Lane Cafe on Guadalupe - good food, great prices, the young people that work at the restaurant are always very nice and professional, it is always a little crowded but the food is worth it.

Chuy's is an excellent Mexican restaurant - not too pricey. It is also very crowded most of the time but worth the wait.

Rudy's Barbecue is also excellent. The barbecue sauce is of the tangy/spicy variety and not too pricey.

In San Antonio -

I ate at Paesanos, an Italian restaurant on the River Walk. It was a little pricey, the atmosphere a little stuffy/upscale, but the food was excellent. I'd go back there again.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restuarants/ Places to Eat in Tyler

If you're in Tyler, take a quick 20-minute jaunt east of town to Kilgore and eat at the Country Tavern for the best ribs ever.

Upscale dining, try Bernard Mediterranean restaurant tucked back in a shopping center on Broadway and Grande.

SA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Restuarants/ Places to Eat in Tyler

You have to try "Sweet Sue's" off the Loop in Tyler Texas. It is home cooking like grandma used to make. Best black eyed peas this side of San Antonio (that is where I live). Menu or the best choice is the buffet. We go atleast twice every visit to town. It is a tradition for us now! It is truly great!!!!!!!

East Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restuarants/ Places to Eat in Tyler

I just got back from eating at a restaurant that was recommended on this site. I am talking about The Shed in Edom ,Texas. I took my daughter there for a quick meal after picking blueberries at a local farm. I would NOT recommend eating here. I ordered the Todays Special. I guess that is where I messed up. The smothered steak sounded good but was extremely salty and soupy. My 2 sides were a side salad and "buttered squash". That description of squash sounded so good to me. What I received was a bowl of very soupy unflavored squash. When I mentioned it to the waitress she acted like she could care less and did not offer to replace it or anything. I could not even eat the squash. The side salad had lettuce in it that looked old and limp. The dinner rolls were good but that was about it. Do not waste your money eating here. You will regret it!!

7. Re: Restuarants/ Places to Eat in Tyler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:29 am, January 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tyler