We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

texas fly drive from England

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
texas fly drive from England

Hi, My partner (serious 66 year old likes pubs) & I (teenage 45 year old likes sight seeing) want to visit Texas for 2 weeks, but we want to drive all over & stop at other places. We have 5 grand to spend (total) How do we go about it, any ideas. We normally go for a package holiday, not very good with internet. We both like a bit of life but we aren't party animals. We both like history, horses & nature, we avoid big cities.

15 replies to this topic
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: texas fly drive from England

TxOffWeGo--Just re-emphasizing your great ideas, and giving her some specifics! (Sorry to be repetitive.)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: texas fly drive from England

Not scolding--just wanted to explain in part why I included SA, Austin etc in my response, even though the OP had said they weren't too interested in "big cities." IMO, hard to get a feel for Texas without spending some time in SA and other places that illustrate the Texas of today and not just the one that occupies movie scenes, etc.

And I find, when planning my own trips, that a bit of repeating some good suggestions by others here on TA really helps me--harder for a good idea to get away :-)

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: texas fly drive from England

Getting to the Hill Country from the UK will be much easier next year. BA has announced a service from Heathrow to Austin beginning in March. Given your preference to avoid big cities, I recommend you fly to Austin to begin your tour of Texas.

June is normally hot in most parts of the state. September is the same, though cool fronts begin to push in from the north during the latter part of the month. If you come in September, make it as late as possible. Late April-early May would be the best time to come when everything is in bloom. October is also good after the heat of Summer is gone (usually).

The Hill Country is more pleasant given its higher elevation and drier air. It would be a good place to spend 2-3 days at the beginning of the trip to do some sightseeing while dealing with jet lag. If your flight arrives early enough, you could get a car at the Austin airport and drive directly to Fredericksburg.

The National Museum of the Pacific War there is interesting and well done. The LBJ Ranch near Johnson City was the Texas White House during LB Johnson's tenure as US President. Enchanted Rock State Park north of Federicksburg is a pretty place to do some walking. There are several wineries to visit in the area. http://www.texaswinetrail.com/

As you like horses you would probably enjoy a stay at a dude ranch. Several are around Bandera, a small town west of San Antonio. Bandera is close enough to SA that you could make a day trip into the city to see the Alamo and the other 16th century Spanish missions on the Mission Trail as well as enjoy the River Walk.

From Bandera, think about heading West. Along Hwy 90 near Comstock is Seminole Canyon State Park, site of ancient Indian pictographs. tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/seminole-canyon A little further west in Langtry is a good museum in a replica of Judge Roy Bean's courthouse/saloon. http://westofthepecosmuseum.com/

The Gage Hotel in Marathon would be a good place to spend the night, then go into Big Bend National Park the next day. Stay at the Chisos Mountains Lodge. Then drive through Terlingua and along Ranch Road 170 up to Presidio. This is arguably the most scenic drive in Texas. Much of it skirts the Rio Grande with Mexico just across the river.

Go on to Marfa, one of the more interesting small towns in the country. www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50144819n Perhaps stay in the Hotel Paisano where the cast, including Liz and Rock, were in residence during the filming of Giant in the 50s.

From Marfa, drive up to Carlsbad, NM visiting Fort Davis, an important US Army fort during the 19th century Indian Wars, on the way. Tour Carlsbad Cavern NP which is a wonder. From Carlsbad go to Buffalo Gap just south of Abilene.

In Abilene visit Frontier Texas which is an excellent small museum with a balanced view of the Anglo conquest of Texas. Tiny Buffalo Gap, named for the migration route of the vast bison herds which once roamed, is best known for Perini Ranch, one of the best steakhouses in the state. Dine there and stay at one of the good B&Bs in town. The old section of town features a building constructed using cannon balls recovered after the Battle of Vicksburg in the US Civil War.

Fort Chadbourne, another important 19th century US Army fort established to protect settlers, is a short drive from Buffalo Gap. From there, head back to Austin. You could stop short and stay in a nice small town such as Burnet. Longhorn Cavern SP is nearby. Or return the car in Austin and spend the last night or two downtown in our prettiest city where there are many fine restaurants and drinking establishments to enjoy. Personally I am fond of the bar at the Stephen F. Austin hotel.

That's what I would do if I wanted to see the best of Texas without venturing into big cities too much.

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: texas fly drive from England

I would suggest spending a few nights in Corpus Christi as its beautiful there right on the beach and plenty museums etc to visit , my son lives there and we visited last year and it was awesome.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: texas fly drive from England

OP posted over 20 months ago. No way to know if the trip has already occurred.

Reply to: texas fly drive from England
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Texas City
More Texas City Topics