We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first visit

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
first visit

We will be visiting in late aug/early sept. It will be my husband and I with our kids ages 5 and 7. We are looking for an affordable condo/townhome on the beach that is not a huge resort style. Preference would be a lowrise with only a few units. Is there such a thing on the island? Also is it better toward the south end of island or further up? Any tips on places to stay and the best areas to stay would be great. As I am sure you know it is overwhelming when going to a new place!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first visit

Most of the lowrise buildings are located directly across the street from the beach. Those are our preference as they tend to be newer, more modern 4 or 8 unit buildings with a pool in the back. Take a look at VRBO or vacationrentals.com. Serach for your dates and see what is available. I sort by number of reviews and start contacting owners with lots of positive reviews. We prefer the northern end of the island. We have found it to be more family friendly, with beautiful stretch of beach. My girls loved Sea Turtle Inc - we visited last year and watched them release 100+ recently hatched turtles back into the ocean - amazing experience! http://www.seaturtleinc.org/

We also loved taking sand castle building lessons from Sandy feet. Happy planning!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first visit

You might like Continental #102, which we have booked on more than one occasion through Padre Island Rentals www.pirentals.com. Check to be sure the sand dunes haven't gotten in the way of the view.

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
133 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first visit

Yes, do check with Padre Island Rentals. Our family much prefers ocean-front instead of across the streetl Especially with Little ones, hauling a bunch of their gear is not fun. Besides nothing beats sipping coffee first thing before they get up whilte watching the sunrise on the water from your balcony. We like Embassy or Edgewater Condos.

4. Re: first visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island