We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

Don't want to make my question really long but I know nothing of the area. I don't know the differnce between South Padre, North Padre and Corpus Christi. We are a couple of early 30's looking for a beach vacation. Don't want to get a rental car so things being close together would be nice, or public transit is fine for some things. We like our share of nature viewing,lounging and also going to fun bars. Not spring break fun, but lively. Thinking of getting a condo, not a hotel, to have a kitchen and have a little more privacy. Any suggestions of the best area to go, things to do and see...whatever info you have, I appreciate it.

Thank you!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

Padre Island is a barrier island running from Corpus Christi south to the tip of Texas, over 100 miles. Much of the island is a national park, the Padre Island National Seashore. The norther tip (North Padre) and the southern tip (South Padre) are developed areas with hotels, condos, etc. Just north of Padre Island is Mustang Island, where Port Aransas is located. Corpus Christi is on the mainland, a 20-30 minute drive to either island.

Geography lesson over, South Padre is more developed with rows of condos and hotels along the beach. The water is nicer and the beaches a bit better than North Padre.

North Padre/and or Mustang Island has more of a small town fishing village vibe with condos spread out a bit. There are plenty of local eateries and watering holes, not many chain establishments.

You are in Texas, so you aren't going to find much in the realm of public transport in either place. Car rental is your best bet. You could take an expensive taxi ride to your beach destination and then survive without a car using buses and, in the case of Port Aransas, renting a golf cart. Many people do this, but it will be quite expensive.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

what he said! :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

Generally agree, but in South Padre, you can easily get by without a car. The island is small, and if you need a cab, it’s $6-8 a ride. I normally drive (I live in TX), but the car stays in the parking lot much of the time. Also, SPI has a local shuttle called The Wave that can take you pretty much anywhere you want.

Also note, you are clear of Spring Break at this point.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

As TXtravaler mentioned, we walk to many places from our condo in S Padre - easy to do - and the Wave is a nice option as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

How clean/ dirty water is there? Is it better than Galveston?

Thank you

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

South Padre is much cleaner than Galveston. It's not even close. Review some of the pics here and/or cams for the SPI sites. Please keep in mind SPI is not the same as northern Padre...both are better than Galveston, but SPI is the better of the two.

Trip Advisor: Please allow us to reply with pictures!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

In general, the Mississippi River is a major cause of "dirty" water in the Gulf. The nearer to the Mississippi Delta, the murkier the water. There are times here in Corpus Christi, after a north wind blows through, that the waters are a magnificent blue but never in the summer of course.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

Thanks a lot! We are going to deal with no car even if it means walking and bike riding a lot. Palnning on riding the WAVE for sure. Since it stops at 9pm I was curious about cabs. Are there enough that you can just call and have one show up reasonably soon? Is there a particular company that does a better job?

I appreciate your help,

Cori

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

I appreciate your comments, we booked in SPI.

Cori

Aroostook County...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Texas Gulf Coat Vacation

we are staying at the sandcastle condo on mustang island, arriving 4/17 with a weeks stay. We are renting a car and want to explore the area. We are from northern maine and not use to heavy traffic. Where would you suggest we go to see rural texas.