We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay...hotel v condo

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
KC suburb
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay...hotel v condo

We're planning a trip to SPI in mid-September for 4 nights. We're in our 50's, not looking for a late night party scene, but we do enjoy our adult beverages. We especially like to have a few drinks at the pool or beach. We usually stay in pretty nice hotels/resorts. We've never stayed in a condo, but are considering it this time because I thought you would be able to bring your own drinks to the pool and having a kitchen is a plus. I've read some reviews that state the condo doesn't let you bring your own drinks, so now I' m dizzy. My eyes hurt from looking at condos and hotels

Here's what we're looking for:

Ocean view, balcony, drink at pool (willing to pay for bar if reasonable), pool/beach chairs & umbrella included, TV in living room & bedroom, close to bars,restaurants, things to do, modern facility and rooms.

Can anyone suggest a hotel or condo that might tick most of our boxes? I haven't found a good map of spi yet to have a good feel of things yet either.

Thanks for any help!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay...hotel v condo

In SPI, I always recommend a condo.

I've never heard about a condo not letting you bring your own drinks. We have always stayed in a condo and we buy our groceries, including drinks, either right before crossing the bridge or at the grocery store on the island.

Do a search on vacationrentals.com or homeaway.com - look for condos with great reviews, when you find a few condos you like, ask the owner if they provide beach chairs and umbrella - the condo that we prefer always has beach chairs, umbrella, and beach toys for the kids.

We prefer one of the smaller properties that is directly across the street from the beach - the pool is smaller, but we also have more privacy. We can walk to a few restaurants or take our own food and drinks to the beach/pool.

We always select a newer condo or one that has been nicely upgraded (granite, flat screen TVs, stainless steel appliances, etc.)

We also prefer the northern end of the island - but you can't go wrong anywhere on the island.

Best of luck!

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay...hotel v condo

Check out Bridgepoint (Bridgepointresort.com) or Sapphire for higher end stays.

KC suburb
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay...hotel v condo

Sphill, I think I read in a post on here that you couldn't take your own drinks to the pool if the bar was open, but I'm not certain. We really want a room w a balcony with a view of the gulf. I've been on vacationrentals.com tonight and will check out the other site tomorrow. Thanks!

Linlo, the website I found for Sapphire was a little pricey for off season,but I like the condos. I liked Bridgepointe too, but I need to find out if you can take your own drinks to the pool.

Thanks for the help!

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay...hotel v condo

I know for a fact you can take drinks to the pool at Bridgepoint. Just no glass containers. That's not a problem.... That's what red solo cups are for!

Good lock!

KC suburb
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay...hotel v condo

Thanks Linlo!

6. Re: Where to stay...hotel v condo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 15, 2013