We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite things to do/places to eat.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite things to do/places to eat.

We're going to South Padre next week. I've checked the site but have heard of a few places here and there that aren't on here from friends. I haven't been in over a decade and was wanting to get some personal suggestions on things to do or great places to go.

Thank you!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite things to do/places to eat.

For places to eat - we like Zestes, Gabriellas, Brewing Company, Yummies - we had a bad experience at Pier 19 - for places to go - depends what you like - we loved watching turtles be released back into the ocean, hanging out listening to live music on the bay - hanging out at Claytons on the beach - hope that helps.

enjoy your trip!

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite things to do/places to eat.

We like Palm Street Pier, Dirty Al' s are if you want something little fancier Daddy's on by same people and for Mexican food The Big Donkey also owned by same people. We felt Parrott Eyes was a bit pricey. But nice atmosphere.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
275 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite things to do/places to eat.

To eat: Gabriella's (but go early for dinner as the wait can get long), and Joe's seafood in Port Isabelle. They have great fresh seafood, much of which can be grilled vs fried. I also like Zeste's for something different, and The Brew Pub is good if you stick to the "pub grub".

To do: Drive the north end of the beach, hang at one of the beach bars. I like Wanna Wanna the best, but Clayton's and Boomerang Billy's are fine. Visit the Turtle Rescue center, catch a sunset (the Southerwave Cruise is a great option for that) and of course, just relax.

Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite things to do/places to eat.

definitely go to the Sea Turtle Rescue. It is a great experience for kids to learn about sea turtles and the people who work to rescue them. I helped out for a month and it was great fun .

The gulf itself is great for walking, watching and frolicking!! The beauty of nature is a joy on SPI. There are fishing trips, dolphin watching and in the summer for children its Schlitterbaum!! Unfortnately, the north end of the island is becoming very commercialized and some of the pure nature of it is fading. But there is horseback riding, 4 wheeling, kite flying and parasailing!! Its a wonderful island.

Brownsville is fun to visit. Unfortunately, Mexico is too dangerous to visit.

Louie's Backyard is great for watching the beautiful sunsets on the bay.There are many fine restaurants, gulf side bars and shopping too!!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
275 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite things to do/places to eat.

Cyclenana, cheers to you for volunteering! And if you've not, try driving the north end....very remote. Do it while you can as there is a second causeway in the works for the north-end. What we have now will likely disappear in the future.

Keith D, how was your trip?

6. Re: Favorite things to do/places to eat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, July 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island