We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spring break crowd ? for families with kids

1 post
Save Topic
spring break crowd ? for families with kids

is spi a good idea during spring break 3/12-16 for families with kids under 12? we are planning to stay in brownsville since there no more rentals available on the island. thx

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,241 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spring break crowd ? for families with kids

SPI is a known as the party beach for Spring Breakers in Texas. I would recommend you go a bit further north to Corpus Christi/ Port Aransas area, or even to Galveston.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spring break crowd ? for families with kids

The southern part of the island will be crazy with many college kids - it will be less so in the Northern part of the island - there will still be some Winter Texans still there and some families as well.

Just be prepared for a slow commute on the Causeway

Chicago
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: spring break crowd ? for families with kids

I am going to the Island with my two college age daughters-20 and 21- the

wk. of March 19. We have never been to Texas. Wanted to go somewhere differerent besides Florida! I think we got a great deal with combined airfare/hotel. Staying at the Travelodge-not the best I know, but it is only for 5 nights.

The three of us just want to hang by pool/beach. I know I will have to keep a close eye on my girls. Believe me, I have seen and heard all about the Spring Break crowd. Do I need to make reservations now for certain restaurants? Is there a local market for snacks, etc.? What is the most reliable transportation we can take from Brownsville Airport to Island. Don't want to ge ripped off. Would love to hear from visitors/locals who have staye on Island before. Thanks.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
277 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spring break crowd ? for families with kids

It will be fine if you hang out on the northern end of the island. I've done the same myself when my kids were younger. Your big problem is going back and forth between the island and Brownsville. I'm not sure I'd recommend that as the causeway can get VERY slow, and even getting out will be slow. IF you do this, leave early in the AM, and then be prepared to hit traffic on your way out. I would probably consider alternatives as suggested due your Brownsville lodging.

5. Re: spring break crowd ? for families with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, June 17, 2013