We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning an April trip. Advice?

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Planning an April trip. Advice?

I am planning a trip to the island in April for my wife and myself. We have never been, but have some SW miles and refunds we need to use. SPI seems like a great choice since we basically want to be somewhere warm to hang out on the beach.

So, first question is "where should we stay"? We like to be right on the beach (or VERY close) and we would want nice pools, grounds. We want a nice place, but it doesn't have to be crazy opulent or anything. We want clean, comfortable, beach, and nice pools.

That leads to food. What are the restaurants like? Recommendations?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning an April trip. Advice?

There are a few hotels on the beach, but think about a Condo. Most have hot tubs and a few heated pools. The island is only about ¼ mile wide, so all places are close to the beach. Make sure you get a unit facing the beach.

Try www.flipkey.com; www.pirentals.com, www.latitude 26.com, www.service24.com, www.vrbo.com or search the internet for South padre Condo Rentals.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning an April trip. Advice?

Thanks, for this vacation we want more of a resort feel, and no cooking, hehe. We are looking at Pearl South Padre. It got some bad reviews, but they seem to be upgrading. It looks great for what we want, and we can get it for like $100 per night for mid April!

South Padre Island
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning an April trip. Advice?

Make sure that when you rent you specify between "Beachfront" and "Beachside". Many renters end up getting a "beachSIDE" condo which means it is on the 1/2 of the island that is beachside not bayside but it is on a sidestreet blocks away from the beach. Call beachwatcher's suggestions and compare prices. Remember that pictures can be deceiving and the pools that are in complexes can be 3-4 foot jobs that are only meant to soak your feet in. If you go to the Isla Grand you have big pools you can actually swim in and tennis courts to play on. Padreritaville has a salad bar and live music, Pier 19 is over the water, The Sea Ranch is fantastic but pricey so save that for your last night or your first, depending on how good you are at budgeting. There are clubs you can go to for dancing. It is a good time.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning an April trip. Advice?

I would echo the Condo option - many are right on the beach or directly across from the beach - have pools, beautiful accomodations - try vacationrentals.com or homeaway.com as well as the options mentioned above

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning an April trip. Advice?

Have you decided on your hotel yet? I cannot figure out "The Pearl" It must be renamed.

6. Re: Planning an April trip. Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, June 22, 2013