We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timers

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cannon Falls
Level Contributor
22 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
1st Timers

My wife, 85-year-old mother and I will be traveling to South Padre Island for our first time the end of November. As you are locals are there any restaurants open on Thanksgiving Day and how busy is the island over that holiday weekend? Also we are looking for a place to stay that has either 2 bedrooms or a separate bedroom and fold out sofa bed with an ocean view. (Ma doesn’t get around like she use to and can’t really walk the beach anymore but wants to see and hear the surf) The Pearl, formerly the Sheraton and the Padre South Hotel look like they meet our budget and criteria but have really mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. We would greatly appreciate any input you could give us on these properties or any suggestions you may have on where to stay or places to eat.

Thanks!

The Halls

Cannon Falls. MN

homesweetspi
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timers

Roadless...two suggestions for you are Isla grand Beach Resort and the former Sheraton, both of which have 2-bedroom condos and are full-service hotels. I have stayed at The Pearl in past years and my family at Isla Grand. We have really enjoyed both. Both fit your criteria and both have lovely ocean-views from their condos (Isla has a full-frontal view). They are, however, set back from the beach so you may not hear the surf.

There are several restaurants open on Thanksgiving Day. Isla Grand serves a great Thanksgiving Day buffet from 11:00 am till 9:00 pm. I believe Pearl (I have to get used to that name!) does as well. There are less expensive options and a local paper comes out with coupons and plenty of info on local events at that time of year.

The island is generally much quieter the end of November (although Thanksgiving weekend is family time) and most of the tourists are Winter Texans who range from late 50's to late 70's and beyond.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timers

Check out some of the condos, a lot of them are on the beach with balconies. Your Mother-in-Law could set on the balcony and watch the beach activies and the water. At Thanksgiving the temperature could be in the low 70s or 50s. The wind is the biggest problem. When the wind is very strong, it could be cool to sit on the balcony. Ask to see if there is seating inside, with a window or doors to see the beach.

Try - www.service24.com, www.flipkey.com; www.pirentals.com, www.latitude 26.com, www.island-services.com, www.aace_rentals.com, www.vrbo.com or search the internet for South padre Condo Rentals.

3. Re: 1st Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, April 16, 2011
4. Re: 1st Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, October 26, 2012