We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to South Padre

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First visit to South Padre

My husband and I are thinking of visiting SPI for the first time in December. Hoping for mostly quiet r&r time, would like to stay right on the water, and would love to avoid crowds. Is this possible or are we looking in the wrong place?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Dallas area
Level Contributor
93 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to South Padre

The island should be very quiet at that time of the year and your choice of "on the water" should be vast. We just returned from the island and late Aug. was quiet also and we were right on the water, still very warm but not uncomfortable. Lets us know if you need other recommendations.

homesweetspi
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to South Padre

Believe me...you will find December very relaxing on SPI...it is "local time". We have spent the last twenty years there in December thru February and enjoy that month. The local businesses will appreciate your coming because it is the lowest part of the tourist season (there are some crowds around Christmas and New Year's Eve).

The island is getting prepared for the holidays so there are some neat events like the lighting of the island and the Isle of Lights Street Parade and the lighted boat parade. Port Isabel also has some fun things to see at that time. In November check out www.sopadre.com for pre-Christmas related events, usually held the first part of the month.

The weather can be quite nice in December but, if a north wind comes down, the temperature can change quickly so be prepared for some cooler days too. There will be plenty of rental places on the beach and bay at that time of year.

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to South Padre

Thank you so much to both of you; sounds like just what we're looking for! Now, of course, I'll ask for recommendations of places to stay....so far from what I've seen it looks like almost all hotels/condos. We would love a little 'beach house' but I'm not seeing anything like that. Looks like The Palms Resort has good reviews---thoughts?

Dallas area
Level Contributor
93 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to South Padre

I don't know anything about the Palms resort but there are many beach houses available on the island. More expensive but very nice houses on the beach, less expensive, still nice near the beach. check vrbo for houses on SPI or check out the rental agencies listed on this site.

homesweetspi
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to South Padre

Here are some sites to look through for beach houses and condos:

www.service24.com

www.padrebeachhouses.com

www.vacationinpadre.com

www.vrbo.com

6. Re: First visit to South Padre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 13, 2011