We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Padre Island Isla Blanca Park

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South Padre Island Isla Blanca Park

I was thinking about camping at Isla Blanca Park on the very southern tip of South Padre Island. I wondered if the water is clear? For snorkeling and for swimming? I mean can you see the bottom? Is it really that murky? I have been to the Florida Keys and wondered if the water would be the same, since they are both located on the Gulf.

But being from Rochester, NY I dont get to see many beaches.

thanks!

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Padre Island Isla Blanca Park

Cristaillee,

Florida beaches are not like Texas beaches. They are very very different. For one, Florida has "prettier" beaches--clear blue water with white sand. Texas has turgouis (sp?) color water with white/light brown sand.

However, Texas is becoming HUGELY popular for several reasons:

1.) Texas beaches are clean, isolated and undeveloped. This is what you would expect to find if you found an island that has not been touched by civilization. There is over 30+ miles of pristine and undeveloped beach front just north of the city of South Padre Island, Texas. Perfect for camping or getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Check out my link to see photos of the area: http://www.spireviews.com/gallery/

2.) Texas allows beer on the beach (but no glass containers allowed). This may be a good or bad thing for you...lol....

3.) The ratio of beach to people is very very very low. On some days, it you can look both ways on the beach and you may only see 1 or two other people, especially this time of the year. Compare that to Florida!

As for snorkeling....it's not as clear as Florida. There is more sand in the water here and the salt content is thicker. Unfortunately, I have never snorkled here, but I have heard that it's only "average" when it comes to that.

I've heard good things about this snorkling tour company: spireviews.com/article/…

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions: skunker@gmail.com

Thanks!