We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel for families

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, OK
1 post
Save Topic
Travel for families

Hello,

We are coming from CA, OK, DC and TX (San Antonio) to reunite for a week this summer...7 adults, 5 kids.

Between Galveston and SPI--which is better beach & atmosphere? We are looking at several rental homes in both areas..my main concern is also getting there--with 2 kids under 2, which would be the closest to a major airport?

Thanks!

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel for families

SPI, much better beach. Fly into Harlingen, rent a car (except for San Antonio people who can drive in about 4 hours). Southwest will get you there.

Edinburg, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel for families

I agree that SPI is a better beach and atmosphere. However, flying into Harlingen is pricey. Galveston is the better option if you're worried about money, because you can fly into Houston.

So really, which is more important: overall cost or overall experience?

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
113 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel for families

SPI without a doubt. Galveston is great if you're in the Houston area already, but if you're making a special trip to go to the beach, keep going south! Southwest can get you to either place, but you'll still have to rent a car and drive, no matter which you choose.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel for families

SPI over Galveston all the way.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel for families

Brownsville Airport is even closer. I think Continental is the only airline (not 100% sure). From what I've heard SPI is WAY better than Galveston.

Hewitt, Texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel for families

I have lived in Texas all my life. By far SPI is better & much prettier & cleaner than Galveston. Plus you can get a room right on the beach, not across the street from the beach.

Ky.
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel for families

We have visited several beach areas I love SPI. Its where we wpuld rather be.

8. Re: Travel for families

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island