We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

We are planning a mini summer trip to San Marcos at the San Marcos Lions Club with our 4 kids. I have heard many great things about this place as a fun way for the family to have tons of great fun. However, I cannot really find any sites or information about this place. Has anyone gone there? Any tips or recommendations on lodging?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

I've never been to the Lions Club, but after a few Internet searches I found a phone number and a couple of sites that might be helpful:

(512) 396-5466

…centurytel.net/bluebonnetlions/index.html

San Marcos Convention Board site: www.sanmarcostexas.com/2067989_13751.htm

http://www.78666.com/river/tubing.php

i will say that tubing down the San Marcos river is very fun albeit a short trip. The water is very cold because it's spring fed, and it is crystal clear - perfect for snorkeling as you float down

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,779 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

On Sunday evenings San Marcos River Pub has live music outside and you can hear and see it from the river. Check it out http://www.riverpubandgrill.com/

You might also want to check out New Braunfels,just a few miles south. We tube the Comal quite often and use Texas Tubes http://www.texastubes.com/

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

I've lived in San Marcos for over 7 yrs

and with 4 kids, I'd definitely recommend

the San Marcos Lion's tubing vs the tubing

in New Braunfels. There the trip is much

longer (too long for most kids), the water

is very cold, and you end up getting sunburned. In San Marcos, the trip takes

about a hour and a half. The river is over 10 feet deep in some places, so bring life

vests for the kids.

There's a nice restaurant called the River Pub right where the tubes take out - tho I guess you'd have to ride back on the bus with the tubes then go eat!! I always take visiting family to the Aquarena Springs.

There is a glass bottom boat (inexpensive)

that takes you out over the springs. It's

educational (don't tell the kids that)

Let me know if I can help you with any other

info. Sandy

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,779 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

The Comal in New Braunfels is very similar to toobing in San Marcos - I'd recomend either. San Marcos makes sense if you're already there.

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

What abot lodging? Should we set up a tent or stay in a hotel?

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

Has anyone heard of or seen the the new resort in San Marcos called - Hideout on the Horseshoe and there is also a sister property- Hideout on the Guadalupe? We are staying there and wondered if anyone could give us some tips or advice. The property is new and rooms "look" nice.

Thanks!

San Antonio
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

San Marcos Convention Board site: www.sanmarcostexas.com/2067989_13751.htm

sanmarcos180.com/directory/information.php…

8. Re: San Marcos River -tubing and rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about San Marcos