We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toobing

texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Toobing

I have heard from several people that Tubing in San Marcos (Lions Club) can be dangerous for kids as the drop in the end has a strong current. I have a 9 year old who can swim and a 6 year old who is just learning. I would put life jackets on them but it this activity advisable when they are a little older. My 9 year old panicks a bit! Any advice would be appreciated as we are heading to Austin on friday 17th. Thanks

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Toobing

The San Marcos river is relaxing and mild compared to the Guadalupe and you can get out before the falls. If your kids have life vest on they should be fine but as anything, be careful. You should have a great time in t river this time of year if the tropical storm doesn't rain you out.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
1 post
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toobing

We just tubed the San Marcus river for the first time last week. We are experienced "toobers" and have tubed other rivers many times. What you've heard is correct. The rapid area at the end of the San Marcus river has very strong, dangerous currents and the drops are full of treacherous rocks. We had many cuts and bruises when we got out. Make sure and wear shoes because of the strong current you will need to pull or carry your tube and walk to get out and the rocks on the bottom are also very jagged and sharp. Although there were many families on the river, I thought it was way too dangerous for kids. I'm a strong, capable swimmer and I had a really hard time holding on to my tube and fighting the current to get to the side and get out.

We love to get out of our tubes and swim and snorkle while we're tubing. Although the San Marcus river is crystal clear and very clean, it is full of seaweed. I don't like swimming in seaweed.

The sides of the river are beautiful, full of trees and plants, but I never want to tube it again. The Comal river in New Braunfels is much better for families.

3. Re: Toobing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about San Marcos