We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on Grand canyon needed for Aussie family

sydney
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on Grand canyon needed for Aussie family

We are planning to visit the Grand Canyon in April 2011. We are coming from Australia and will have 4 days at the GC. We have 3 kids aged 12,9 and 7 and would love to do outdoor age appropriate activities. Would love any advise/suggested itineraries/recommended touring companies/places to stay?

Is it easy to do it yourself or should we go through a tour company?

Should we fly to Vegas or Pheonix and then drive?

Weather OK in April?

Very much appreciate any advise as I begin my research.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on Grand canyon needed for Aussie family

Now and again TA sends unrelated posts to the Post, Texas forum for reasons nobody knows. You should try again in the Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, forum to get advice from the local experts.

GC is one of my favorite spots, so I'll respond to your questions. Given a choice, I would fly to Phoenix which is about an hour closer to GC South Rim compared to Las Vegas. About halfway between GC and Phoenix is beautiful Sedona which would make a convenient break or overnight stop. In fact, I recommend you take at least one night from GC and stay in Sedona.

The South Rim is about 7000 feet elevation so April is still on the cold side. For your kids, the ranger programs will be fun and interesting as well as walks along the rim trail. You could even descend a short way into the canyon on Bright Angel Trail to see the pictographs.

Here's the link to the 2011 Trip Planner which gives more info on climate and things to do. nps.gov/grca/parknews/upload/2011grcaTP.pdf You don't need a tour guide as it's easy to get to all the view points on your own either by driving or using the park shuttles. http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

If you don't have room reservations in the park, you should get on that right away as they book way ahead of time. If nothing is available in the park, try Tusayan outside the South Gate.

sydney
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on Grand canyon needed for Aussie family

Thanks for your message. Would you recommend any special trips ie bike, rafting, flying whilst there and should I book in advance?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on Grand canyon needed for Aussie family

The only raft trips in GCNP are multi-day affairs that leave from Lees Ferry near Page which is a couple of hours from GC Village. There is a half-day float trip (no whitewater) that departs from below the Glen Canyon Dam at Page and goes to Lees Ferry. If you want to do that, I suggest you plan on spending a night in Page. Here's the link http://www.raftthecanyon.com/

Helicopter rides over Grand Canyon leave from the airport at Tusayan which is outside the South gate of GCNP. I suggest you research the Arizona GCNP forum for more info.

For some good information to have before you and your family arrive, check out the Introduction to Grand Canyon series available from the Grand Canyon Association e.g. Introduction to Grand Canyon Fossils grandcanyonassociation.org/Merchant2/…

Edited: 11:45 am, January 19, 2011