We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help??. Galveston or Port A??

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Please help??. Galveston or Port A??

We are a family of four. Kids are ages 10 and 6. We are driving from Fort Worth Area for a beach vacation in July. Our main focus is the beach. I know both Galveston and Port A have things to do, but we really want the beach. Is there a big difference between the two beach areas as Port A is a much longer drive. Can't fly anywhere or i would probably go to FL.. Please help!!

texas
Level Contributor
176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Please help??. Galveston or Port A??

MY Point! The Sea Wall.... You have to cross a busy street with children no less and see a beach that is about 20 feet. Not much of a beach in my book... I would not want to cross that street with my child and take a chance.... Plus, the water is terrible.. Yes, there are more things to do persay, but the kids.... Think of them and their safety...

Houston
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Please help??. Galveston or Port A??

Because of your focus, the easy answer is Port Aransas. The upper Texas coast suffers from many rivers depositing mud/silt on the beach which means dirty water and less than stellar beaches. The difference is so striking that my weekend place is 3+ hours away in Aransas rather than an hour away in Galveston.

You get on "island time" as soon as the ferry lands (300 yard boat ride, lol). Port Aransas is full of the people you'd expect to find in a small coastal town. The restaurants are plenty and there are a few that rock. There aren't any houses right on the beach but some are very close (quick walk). There are a couple condo/hotel joints on the beach. Rent a golf cart and tour the island/beach. Hit the aquarium in Corpus. The carrier Lexington is right next door as well. Head boats are available for some fishing (you can catch kingfish right off the jetties in late Spring). Drive WAY down the beach (if you have 4wd) to Big Shell. It marks the coastal "bend" and collects all sorts of interesting things from the gulf. Good fishing from the beach down there as well.

Enjoy your trip whichever destination you choose.

13. Re: Please help??. Galveston or Port A??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Aransas
Recent Conversations