We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Port A Wisdom

East Coast, USA
3 posts
Save Topic
Looking for Port A Wisdom

We are traveling all the way from the east coast to Port A, with two small children. While we do have some of the best beaches right at our back door, we are about to set-off on a Texas adventure. Any recommendations on must-brings and must-dos from you veterans out there?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Port A Wisdom

If you fish, bring that stuff, otherwise Port A is just a place to get away. Sit back, relax, let the kids play in the sand, drink some adult beverages, fly a kite, or take a walk. You'll find the requisite junk shops and touristy things and a couple of good restaurants.

In Corpus there's the Aquarium and the Aircraft Carrier.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Port A Wisdom

Beach-umbrella, Coolbox, beachchairs, but you probably already knew..

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Port A Wisdom

I hope you are not driving all this way just to go to Port A! if so, then you might want to add other things on your itinerary....like going to the various birding and wildlife places near port A such as the Padre Island National Seashore: http://www.nps.gov/pais/

or driving up to San Antonio or Austin to see different sites.

If going to the beach is your #1goal, then you might consider skipping Texas and going to Florida or someplace else.....Texas beaches are just ok....not great. yes, plenty of sand and space....but the water can be a greenish brown with plenty of seaweed and jellyfish from now through September........oh, yes, there will be people that say it's a lovely blue, but lately there have been many storms in the gulf churning up the mud......just trying to be realistic so you aren't disappointed. : )

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Port A Wisdom

We were there a couple of weekends ago and it wasn't so bad. The seaweed was not as bad as some makes it sounds. We had a great time.

A must bring is Sunscreen SFC 30 probably would be a good idea, but you can also get it at the local stores and sunglasses.

Some things you might want to do with the kids is the Dolphin Tour they have a touch tank w/seahorse, shrimp, fish. They cast out a net and pull up creatures from the sea and they tell you what they are and about them. You can get it through Woody's Sport Center (361-749-6969) Adults is $18.00 Kids is $12.00 and try the sunset tour around 7:00 pm.

To eat try the Pizza at Gaff on Beach Rd. they have fun things to do.

Hamburger eat at Caldwell Pier the best HB

Also visit the Back Trails at Charlie's Pasture -- it is like walking thru a Sci-FI movie.

In Corpus they have the Aquarium which is also very nice.

In San Antonio they have theme parks Fiesta Texas, Sea World and

There is also the riverwalk and a barge tour of the River and of course the Alamo and the missions and lots of museums and other things to do. I had to give SA a plug since I'm from here.

Need more info let us know.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Port A Wisdom

My favorite Texas beach is South Padre Island. You have to drive another couple of hours. Port A is not my favorite beach. It is a great little fishing village though with a ton of charm. There is a lot to do though. My husband loves Rockport because he is a passionate fisherman. Galveston has a lot to do other than the beach too. Have a great time. Just remember the Texas heat, esp in August! We stay off the beach in the mid-day. We do early morning and late afternoon into evening.

6. Re: Looking for Port A Wisdom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Aransas
Recent Conversations