We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

wigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

Me and my girlfriend go for the first time on 1st September for two weeks, doing a lot of reading on how bad pickpockets seem to be ruining people's holidays, we rarely will be on Veronica's if at all and mostly will go down the Paz or patch as we are not into night clubs. Is it as common as its starting to sound? I know it happens every where but its becoming a concern

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,367 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

who knows it's like at home, if your in the wrong place at the wrong time.............who knows

but my advice is take little money out, split it up, mr lenny only ever has 20 euros in his pocket, but has been known to have a fifty stuck down each sock.

he doesn't take his smart phone out, but then again he doesn't need it he has me............no but phones now a days can cost hundreds, so leave them back in the apt, jewellery, it all depends on who wears what, i'm not a gold wearing person, more a primani tat person, so I've nothing worth knicking.

but no it's no worse that it is at home, just take precautions, don't carry expensive phones, hundreds in cash, be dripping in gold and you'll be ok.

or just wear the cherry and white then your deffo safe................love a saints fan. x

Edited: 7:11 pm, August 18, 2013
Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
886 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

We have been visiting for years and it seems to have got worse the last few. Only had a problem once, about 4am New Years morning on way back to Colon 2. As we crossed the road a chap gave my husband a hearty Happy New Year and frisked him the same time .Luckily he realised what he was up to and shouted , F Off! Funny at the time a woman heard him and gave hubby a row for swearing! He never carries much money, not much left after celebrating anyway.

Don't worry, I agree with previous post and be aware, don't take short cuts down dark lanes. We are in our 60's and it wont stop us going again Dec 31st.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

I cant speak for where you live ,but where i live there are far more muggings each week near us than there are in Tenerife .

Mugging is when it involves violence and though people report being mugged it is more likely to be pick pocketing ,or dipping a handbag .....basically opportunistic stealing .Lots of blokes have their pockets picked by the so called "Ladies of the Night" ,basically they think they are being chatted up !!

Like any where in the world you have to obey certain "rules" as you would at home for your own security

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston super Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

Hi, unfortunately holiday makers let their guard down when they are away. Only take out what you need, avoid a large handbag. Place valuable items like cameras and phones out of sight. Avoid standing around in crowds or queues, such as bus stops.

Always use the hotel safe, and always have good holiday insurance. I am sure you will be fine.

wigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

How far is parque santiago from Veronica's there seems to be a few hotels get broke into near there :/ or staff are giving out spare keys to apartments!!

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

We are staying at PS4 just now, Veronica's is about 5 min walk up the road. We've had no issues at all here & the safes are electronically coded (a code you set yourself). I've not heard of any muggings or break-ins from I've been here so hopefully it stays that way :) I make sure everything is locked away in the safe, but I do take my phone with me as I use it for taking photos.

ayrshire
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

Just home from parque santiago3/4 Rob,you are a well distanced from veronicas,a good 10 minute walk I'd say.The security staff at 3/4 are very efficient and that is one if the main reasons we stay there,not heard of any incidents with breakins whilst we have been there. The only bother we heard about was a young couple that had grief near the patch with one of the hair braiders,a fee of 20 euros was agreed at the start which then turned to a pair of scissors held at the throat and 40 euros demanded.The couple told us they were quickly surrounded and had no option but to pay up.

wigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

Are they like criminal gangs ? If say I caught one try to steal something or do something to me or the mrs and I pasted them are there likely to be a big group then chasing us down the road?

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,469 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

Rob, I think you are reading far too much into this. We are talking about Playa de las Americas, not Detroit, Davoren Park Aus. or even Stratford, London in the UK.

queeniesdailysnippets.wordpress.com

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pickpockets,muggings a serious issue?

Rob as Aguilas has said i think you are reading to much in to it, i have been all over the world you just have to take care on holiday no matter where you are.just come have enjoy.

Dok

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas