We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport transfers-a word of warning

london
Level Contributor
161 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
airport transfers-a word of warning

Hi has just returned from our holiday in Tenerife and thought I would recount our experiences with airport transfer.We were staying in Playa De Las Americas and have stayed there before so knew roughly how long transfers were .In the summer we went to Ibiza and used Airport Transfers who were excellent so decided to use them again for Tenerife.This was a mistake.Transfers were very reasonable and I booked Express shuttle.When we arrived in the arrivals hall it was utter chaos. We followed instructions to go to their desk and realised we had to get in a queue of about 400 people.The desk does not only cater for Airport Transfers but also Resorthoppa and A to B transfers along with a good few more.There were a few staff trying to regan some sort of order with people raging at them because they had been in the queue so long.We got on the end of the queue and after half an hour decided to pull out and get a cab.Trouble was so had half the queue so this was an impossibility also.Continued to queue and after one and a half hours we were given our coach number[We were not even on their list but I had my confirmation so they had to add us on].We then sat on the coach for another 45 mins for other people to arrive then had another one and a half hours going round dropping other people off.To add insult to injury instead of dropping us at our hotel as they were supposed to they dropped us at the nearest roundabout and left us to cart our cases another 10 minutes on to our hotel.It took four and a half hours to get to Tenerife and nearly four hours to get to our hotel.Never again.Booked a cab back which took 20 mins,alright cost more but for the sake of our sanity this will be our preferred option in future.I just pity the people in that queue who had children that had already endured the flight and had to have this experience.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

We used transfer bus last week and never again. Utter chaos and from getting our cases we were 1 hour 35 mins. Transfer on return was 20 mins in taxi. 25 euros well worth it.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

What can I say? I should have know better lol!!!

Our shuttle coach on the arrival went around Golf del Sur, Silencio (several stops) finally arriving at our hotel in Costa Adeje 1 hour 35 mins later (grrrr!!).

On the return transfer the coach broke down outside the Piramides hotel, the gears jammed, the driver rang for a replacement and a minibus arrived 20 mins later resulting in us arriving 1 hour 15 mins before take off.

So YES I will take a taxi next time!!!!!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston super Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Hi, we always use the local bus service to and from Puerto de la Cruz, either direct or via Santa Cruz. The journey takes just over an hour, a little longer during the rush hour.

You can see the bus times on the TITSA website in English.

london
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

hi

somebody mentioned prebooking a taxi - can anyone recommend a company?

Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Hi, is this airporttransfers.co.uk? I was just about to book with them but it sounds terrible! A taxi sounds fine but as a party of 5 we need a minibus style vehicle! They do offer a private minibus service but that would still be pointless if you have to queue with everyone else! Thanks for posting the review, I will think again

Ross

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

HI RossG770 if there is a queue it will go down very quick and there is a guy that sorts the taxi queue out in a high viz he will get you a 5 seat in mins so i am sure you will get sorted quicly.

Dok

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Friday arrivals in Tenerife are the airports busiest day ,when we have arrived we have never waited above 5 mins .Because of wheelchair ,luggage etc we need a large vehicle and if there are none at the rank then the "Controller" as one there within a few minutes ......

Transfers ....may be cheap ,but they maybe waiting for others too ,these could even be on the next flight !! Or wandering around the airport trying to find their transfer company .Sometimes with a full arrivals hall these company's reps/drivers are not easy to spot !..........Taxi ranks just outside and doesnt move !!

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,818 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Ross .... I don't think the OP is talking about this company

http://www.tenerifeairporttransfers.co.uk/

They are part of elmarservices. I used them many times for transfers further afield than PDLA ...like Los Gigantes etc ...and they have always been easy to find in arrivals and very efficient ... but if you only need a transfer to PDLA / Adeje ... then you should have no problem getting a taxi for 5 on arrival as already stated in previous posts ...

Sylla

Edited: 7:01 am, April 04, 2013
Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Looking at the small print Airport Transfers is not a transfer company but an agent. So they will use whoever gives them a good deal.

>>>Airport Transfers acts at all times as a booking agent on behalf of the supplier(s) <<<

If your flight time changes it clearly states that it is down to you to inform them, and they will >>make all reasonable endeavours to accommodate your request<<< unlike local companies who have all of your details and check your flight times these people COULD be un-contactable or not pass on your changed plans in a timely manner.

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

I always use the Titsa bus 111 too - just remember to put valuables in your carry on bus hand luggage as things could go missing in the luggage compartment of the bus down below. Its not unheard of for the bus to drop you off and scarper before you have retrieved you suitcase ;)

Some drivers will not permit aircraft sized carry on suitcases with you on the bus either - so remember to remove your cameras/laptops/phones etc and carry them on with you.

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas