We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport transfers-a word of warning

london
Level Contributor
161 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
airport transfers-a word of warning

Hi has just returned from our holiday in Tenerife and thought I would recount our experiences with airport transfer.We were staying in Playa De Las Americas and have stayed there before so knew roughly how long transfers were .In the summer we went to Ibiza and used Airport Transfers who were excellent so decided to use them again for Tenerife.This was a mistake.Transfers were very reasonable and I booked Express shuttle.When we arrived in the arrivals hall it was utter chaos. We followed instructions to go to their desk and realised we had to get in a queue of about 400 people.The desk does not only cater for Airport Transfers but also Resorthoppa and A to B transfers along with a good few more.There were a few staff trying to regan some sort of order with people raging at them because they had been in the queue so long.We got on the end of the queue and after half an hour decided to pull out and get a cab.Trouble was so had half the queue so this was an impossibility also.Continued to queue and after one and a half hours we were given our coach number[We were not even on their list but I had my confirmation so they had to add us on].We then sat on the coach for another 45 mins for other people to arrive then had another one and a half hours going round dropping other people off.To add insult to injury instead of dropping us at our hotel as they were supposed to they dropped us at the nearest roundabout and left us to cart our cases another 10 minutes on to our hotel.It took four and a half hours to get to Tenerife and nearly four hours to get to our hotel.Never again.Booked a cab back which took 20 mins,alright cost more but for the sake of our sanity this will be our preferred option in future.I just pity the people in that queue who had children that had already endured the flight and had to have this experience.

southport
Level Contributor
745 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Thanks for that advice we always jump a taxi like you say bit more money but you straight to your hotel in 20mins but this newyear we were toying with using travelrepublic as we use them in benidorm without any problem but think we will stick to getting a taxi thanks again

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Gaz I'm going to use the airport bus,no 111,to pla there's one every half hour saves taking a tour of all the hotels in the resort,

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Agree the transfer area is absolutely chaotic. When there in June our holiday with TCook had a transfer included to PDLC - after being told by a rep that our transport was outside waiting - after a fruitless search we were then informed that we had to go to the Airport Transfer desk where we were told by an agent to wait - this wait turned into over an hour when were told our transport was on its way - eventually half-an-hour later it appeared, the excuse given was the police were stopping all the vehicles at a roundabout. We eventually arrived in PDLC three and half hours after landing. We now use the public transport as we have the buses timed to the exact minute.

Deefiaant10

4. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:30 am, February 27, 2016
North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
820 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

We use Travel republic most times when we go away, we had a long wait in May with resorthopper booked through Travel republic which we have used many times,but never again it will be Taxi for us in the future we will just put the taxi fair into our budget from when we book are holiday.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

It must be really annoying ,i learnt a long whilst back to use taxis .As you come through arrivals you can see the commotion going on we just pass by get into a taxi .for me far less stressful though agreed more expensive in some cases .Even when Free Transfers are included we grab a taxi .Always at the hotel ,checked in ,in our room and sometimes even unpacked before the Free Coach arrives ,and if there are many others staying at the same hotel and arriving on the same bus we are often on our way out before they get checked in.

north east
Level Contributor
850 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Never understand why people go on holiday and hang around waiting for a transfer, as OLNF states, taxi is the best option, and I have always done this,if you factor in a few extra Euros into your budget.

How many people on here, would go to there airport at home on a airport shuttle bus, and call in at every housing estate on the way picking holidaymakers up? No you would'nt, the majority of us book a taxi to take us straight to the airport, so why do we think it is nessecary to do it when we get there?

Baffles me.

london
Level Contributor
161 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

I think you miss the point NorthEast Pope I have been abroad many many times and have never had this problem before.What I have had however is quite a few absolutely insane taxi drivers who only want to get back to the airport for their next fare and don't care if they drive 3 inches from the car in front at 80 miles an hour.As a nervous passenger I am a wreck by the time I arrive which is why I normally opt for transfers ,it has nothing to do with cost.This time I asked the taxi driver back to the airport not to go too fast and he was pretty ok.As other posters have said the airport bus seems pretty good but we were unable to take advantage of this as by the time we found out there was a direct bus we had just missed it and there wasn't another one for an hour and we'd already been in the queue then for some time.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Just to ask Persia,was this a Friday ? Its always blinking manic at Tenerife south on Fridays .........

north east
Level Contributor
850 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: airport transfers-a word of warning

Sorry but which point am I missing Persia?

You may have been one of the lucky ones and had no problems with your transfers by coach, but if you do a search on any forum on here, one for 'transfers' and another for' taxis', see which ones come up with the most complaints.

It cost 4 of us, 25 Euros (about £5 each) from the airport to our hotel door, and took about 20 minutes,pleasant driver who unloaded our cases,while others presumably were still waiting to board the coach....if it turned up!

You say you queued for some time...not another bus for an hour...this is 2012 for goodness sake, you are on holiday,yet politely asking your taxi driver

to slow down, and he was ok about it well it seems to me that taking the taxi was by far the better option

Edited: 2:05 am, November 26, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas