We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sterling Travellers Cheques

glasgow capital of...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Sterling Travellers Cheques

Just heard from Marks + Spencers that there is a problem in exchanging cheques now. Have always took cheques for the added safety and had no problems last year. Can anyone help advise ?

Porthcawl, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Just returned from Tenerife on Friday and all places were offering rates for cash or travellers cheques.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,791 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

I didn't think anyone used them any more. Would it not be as convenient to just use an ATM and a debit card? Choose the card according to the rate they charge. Better still just use a credit card for large purposes or for nice meals out, again opting for one with no charge for use abroad and just pay it off when you get back home.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston super Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Hi, although I have not used them for a few years, when I did I always took them as 20€ values, as many shops accepted them as currency.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Yes people have had problems in finding places that would exchange them.Dont think M&S would be giving out that information if it was not true.I also have not used them for many,many years.I think they are more of an inconvienence now considering how easy it is to withdraw cash either using your debit or credit card.Think also you risk the chance of being ripped off when cashing in cheques for cash or paying for items with them.Personally i never pay by card abroad,cash always.No comeback then.

Rob

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Hi

Why not just take a pre-loaded ATM card available from the post office and others.

That way you just load the card in the UK and simply withdraw it from any ATM on the Canary Islands,it´s alot easier than carrying cheques and your passport for when you cash them and the rate doesn´t change(especially if you pre pay it in Euros)

As to the cheques themselves it is getting harder to change them(a bit like the UK in that people don´t want the hassle of accepting cheques anymore) and although most exchange shops say commission free this is not usually the case

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,534 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

I use a Fairfx card and load it whenever the exchange rate goes up. It costs €1.50 to withdraw cash so we usually take out €200 at a time whenever we need it but pay for things with the card or our Halifax Clarity credit card.

Here is a link to Fairfx if you are interested: https://www.fairfx.com/ref/zmypz

CaxtonFX are another company but I've not used them as they are not as good on ezxchange rates as Fairfx. Fairfx do have a brilliant customer service if ever you have any queries and a facebook page.

We've not used travellers cheques since we were in Australia in 1991! We have always used our ATM and credit cards since then.

glasgow capital of...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Thanks Carwyn thats all good news. Thanks everyone else for advice. I have been taking Cheques for years as i know if the worst happens and i loose them or they're stolen, then i can get full replacements the next day. Cant with any card whether visa or ATM cards, so will chance it again.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Contact these people ,they do money exchange along with excursions etc .They will tell you if they will change them ,exchange rate etc and have an office in PDLA ....

www.tenerifesunshine.com

Also on Facebook .......

And you are correct ,replacements for those lost stolen are back to you before any card company acts ..................

glasgow capital of...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

Thanks onelegnofeet, know tenerife sunshine well as we exchange money there most years and where we would normally buy our excursions from. Cheers

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques

As Ricky B mentioned ,keep the cheques in low amount .Last year there was a problem with any £100 plus cheques due to some passing fakes ,so quite a few exchanges wouldnt take them

HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas
Recent Conversations