We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

furness
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

We (family of 3 with 9 year old child) have booked to go to this hotel in August 2011. Now reading a couple of reviews that seem to say gents are required to wear long trousers and a shirt for dinner. Can anyone confirm this? Also it has been mentioned that they have a policy of "no inflatables" in the pool! Again, can anyone comment on this. A Husband having to dress up for dinner and a 9 year old not being allowed inflatables will be a nightmare!! Your comments would be appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

Hi

Most, if not all good hotels require the men to wear trousers/Chinos or smart jeans for evening meals. Shirts normally can be short sleeved and I think you will find that it would be better safe than sorry to pack a pair of trousers rather than have the embarrassment of being turned away from your evening meal.

As to inflatables I am not able to answer that as it is not a hotel I have used but I am sure others that have will be able to advise on pool activaties

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

up north
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

yes long trousers for gents for the evening meal, you can wear smart jeans if you want but no 3/4 length shorts. shirts mean a polo shirt at least. no vests or sleeveless shirts.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,549 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

There is a law in Tenerife that any pool that is used by tourists should have either a lifeguard or be fenced. The reason for the" no inflatable pool toys" (except baby floats, water wings, etc.) is the inflatable could inhibit the line of vision between the lifeguard and someone in the pool. Inflatable rafts - the concern here is that a swimmer could be under the raft and the lifeguard would not be able to see. So while the kids may feel it is a bit of a pain, it is actually for the pool users safety.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Cumbria
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

We were there last year, and yes the do stick hard to this rule at the pool the life gaurds are strick, having said that, the do go for an hour for lunch and people do get there lolo's etc in but as soon as he comes back they all take them out again. and yes your OH will have to wear long trousers and some kind of tea shirt, it doesn't have to be a polo just not the vest type, we are young at heart and get on well with all age groups and find if you smile and be friendly with the guys who show you to your table it goes a long way, we had one who looked out for us and always had a table waiting for us.

Enjoy you holiday.

manchester
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

Cant believe the long trouser rule :/ we travel there in 10days, glad I have seen this as my partner in his 20s has only bought 3/4 lenght shorts etc !! I am travelling with partner and young daughter, we have selected half board can anyone advise if you get a choice of evening or lunch time meal each day ?? Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

I have just arrived back from the Bitacora and still tanned :)

The dress code is casual for dinner for men. I am Male and I wore Holister tops/shirts and Jeans and trousers.

Women mainly wore dresses and It was really nice atmosphere as everyone was very smart :)

Regarding pools- there are 2 pools- the bottom one is mainly for kids- you are allowed water guns/inflatables and ball games.

Also if you on half board its mainly Breakfast and Dinner :)

Edited: 4:53 pm, May 07, 2011
Cumbria
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

Hi KSN, you get 2 meals on half board breakfast, and a main meal, most hotels say your main meal is in the evening, at the Bitacora you can change it for lunch if you want, you have to go to reception for a slip to hand to the lady at the door, we did this a couple of times, its good as it alows you to eat out in the evening. There is a small cafe by the main pool, you will see a self service counter but this is for A.I. its their snack bar. You will see tables with table cloths, these are for guests that are buying lunch, the waiter will serve you.

Edited: 4:12 am, May 09, 2011
manchester
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

Many Thanks CumbriaLynn!!! :)

Manchester
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

Hi,

We are going to this hotel in June for 2 weeks. Stayed there 2 years ago and yes men have to wear long trousers at evening meal. My boyfriend is not keen on this but goes back up to room and puts shorts on after meal.

There are no inflatables allowed in the main pool but they are allowed in the childrens pool where the slide is. I know this is not ideal for children but there are a lot of older guests at this hotel so they have to cater for both.

It's not a rowdy hotel at all. It is a very good hotel and this is the reason we are returning.

10. Re: Bitacora Hotel,Playa de las Americas--queries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas