We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information on local transport and places to visit

Manchester
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Information on local transport and places to visit

I shall be going to Playa de las Americas middle of March. Can anyone give me some information on local transport and places to visit? Is Santa Cruz worth a visit? Los Gigantes, Puerto de la Cruz? Can we get to these by bus? We like walking and visiting hilltop villages. Any advice will be welcome.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

Hi Jules,

The bus service on Tenerife is great -

http://www.titsa.com/ You will be able to visit all the places you mention by bus but also the smaller villages, although personally I would hire a car for getting to the really interesting hilltop villages. However, not far from Playa you have the villages of La Camella, Valle de San Lorenzo, Arona etc and these are easy to reach by bus.

For walking have a look at this website - CIberhiker is one of the local experts on Trip Advisor.

http://www.cyberhiker.co.uk/

Nelly

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

Hi Jules

As Nelly has said the Titsa bus system is great, it is not only for the locals but is well geared up for the tourist as well. Buses run on time and IMHO are far better than the busees we have here in the UK. A trip to both Santa Cruz and also to Puerto de la Cruz is well worth while with Puerto you will find a traditional resort visited by Spanish, German and English holidaymakers and if you can, do try to have a day at Loro Parque.

Santa Cruz is a contrast between the modern shops and little plaza's where you can sit and have a nice drink or meal. Should you choose to use the bus system do buy a Bono card as it will save you up to 30% on short trips and up to 50% on long ones {the card can be bought at the bus depot and will cost either 12 Euro's or 30 Euro's} and you only need ONE card for your whole group NOT one per person.

You will find the north is greener than the south, but should you choose to visit Teide I would advise that you do it as a coach trip as there is {as far as I can remember} only one bus per day that goes there and if you miss the bus back you could be stuck.

If you need anymore information please do come back as I am sure that we will be able to answer any questions you may have

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

Manchester
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

Many thanks for the helpful information. How long would it take to get to Santa Cruz by bus? Two of us are just going for one week - do you think one ticket at 12 euros will be enough for the two of us, or should we get the 30 euro one? We will probably do about 4 or 5 trips (8 or 10 for the two of us).

Manchester
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

Thank you so much for the information. We will certainly try the hilltop villages.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

Hi Jules

Travelling from Las Americas to Santa Cruz in the CAR takes between 45 mins and an hour depending on time of day and traffic, so you need to factor in the number of stops and the route taken to get an idea of the journey time. I would imagine an absolute minimum of 90 mins. if you were to take the 111 http://www.titsa.com/lineas.asp?idl=111

While I don´t use the buses (to much hanging around LOL), reading the forums, I would imagine that one €12 Bono card would be sufficient for your needs. If you should run out of money, you can either pay the difference or purchase another €12 which would be cheaper than paying €30 and finding you don´t use it.

You also mentioned you like walking, you might like to do this which is ideal from where you are based

http://tinyurl.com/ybusot2

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,674 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

Most of the hotels have a tour that takes you around the island, and you can get a feel for it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

Hi Jules

Re the Bono card I would agree with Aguilas, I would just buy a 12 Euro card to start with then get a second when you require it rather than getting the 30 Euro one and find at the end of your holiday you are left with money on the card that you have no use for.

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

As the DE for Malaga says >>>Most of the hotels have a tour that takes you around the island,<<<

In my experience this is the most expensive way to do any excursion - if you choose to tour the island by an organised coach trip have a look at Tenerife Sunshine´s website www.tenerifesunshine.com They have the best prices around, and discounted if you book on line, they will deliver to your accommodation and consistently get rave reviews on this forum.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,049 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

Keep hearing about these Bono cards ,can you only use them certain days or hours ,as in some money saving tickets on UK buses .

Wow ,a DE from Malaga ,now its either quiet over there or someones trying to keep their post count up !!! LOL or is it me on the wrong island ???it has been known

Edited: 6:59 am, March 06, 2010
england
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Information on local transport and places to visit

hi OLNF,

you can use the bonocard any time of day or night,one card will do for the whole party,and when you run out of credit you just pay the difference to the drive,tenerife is a bit behind lanzarote concerning helping the public as you ca'nt buy a new bono off the driver,you have to goto the bus station or find a shop that sells them,it is so much better to be able to buy a bono off the driver like in lanzarote,also the buses run 24 hours a day in lanzarote,now thats what i call a good service.

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas
Recent Conversations