We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mary rogans bar

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
mary rogans bar

I've just heard that the famous Mary Rogans Irish Pub in Los Cristianos/Las Americas has closed. Can anyone confirm this? Also I've heard that the surounding area is dead as far as visitors are concerned. Anybody heard owt?

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,995 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mary rogans bar

Hi Hewitt

You have heard right, Mary Rogan´s has been closed for a couple of months or so. I would not say that the surrounding area is DEAD but like all of the resorts it is certainly a lot quieter than it normally is at this time of year.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mary rogans bar

Many thanks for your reply Aquilas. Well that's certainly a body blow to me, I just loved Mary Rogans and all that went with it. Michael Graham was great, the staff all friendly and the customers seemed largely a decent bunch.

I'd be keen to find out why it's closed and if it is to re-open elsewhere. I spent most of my nights there and although I've heard Fergal Flaherty is very good I don't fancy going to the Strip with all the noise.

On the 21st of May I was in Mary Rogans and mentioned to Michael Graham that it was a bit quiet and he said it was only slightly so. Pretty soon afterwards the place must have closed

If anyone hears any more I'd be pleased to know, thanks.

Chayofa, Spain
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: mary rogans bar

I was talking to Michael's mum last week. We didn't talk about Michael, nobody is sure why he decided to close and I wasn't going to ask her.

In answer to the comment above, the area definitely is not dead. The second quarter of the year was tough for everyone, but I seem to be busier than I was in July 2008.

There is definitely more of an international mix here now though.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,995 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mary rogans bar

Hi Hewitt

Just found out that Michael is back on the island after travelling around Europe. He isn´t booked to work anywhere yet and is taking his time looking. If I hear where he is before you next arrive I´ll let you know.

There have been some nasty rumours around about why the bar closed but I think the truth is it was due to the high increase in rent - but that doesn´t get the same shock factor as rumours. LOL

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mary rogans bar

Thanks for that Aquilas,I will be back in October and would greatly appreciate it if you found out where Michael will be. The reason for the bar closing is sure to be, as you say, something as simple as a rent increase and lets hope he finds somewhere at least as good if not better.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,995 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mary rogans bar

Michael is performing every night except Tuesdays in Murphy´s Irish Bar PdlA

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,067 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mary rogans bar

was confirmed at 17.46 on

www.tenerifeforum.com

tonight

under the topic

Mary Rogan's has now closed down on Vista Sur in Los Cristianos, Tenerife

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mary rogans bar

Thanks again Aquilas I'm pleased to hear that. I'm not familiar with Murphy's bar but I suppose I'll find it. If you hear owt else I'm always pleased to hear. Many thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mary rogans bar

And thanks too you too lenny9.

dublin
Level Contributor
350 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: mary rogans bar

We were over in December and that area is completely dead since Mary Rogans shut down. Michael was our favourite singer and this was our favourite pub . We didn't realise how much we would miss it until we arrived and found we needed to find some new entertainment even though we went to see Michael in Murphy's Irish bar the area wasn't great and something was missing for us.

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas