We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drugs being offered

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Hisaronu
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Drugs being offered

Hi All,

Just returned from a 1 week break in Las Americas and although we really enjoyed ourselves, I couldn't believe how many time we were offered cocaine and weed by the street sellers (lucky, lucky men).

I think what surprised me more was when me my wife and my son (age 16) were out together, we were still being propositioned for drugs.

Now don't get me wrong, i'm wise that this sort of thing happens, but to ask us as a family was disgusting.

And to top it off, one of them even tried to move me and my wife on so he could speak to my son in private.

Sadly we did see lots of police knocking around, but they didn't give a toss about what they were attempting to do and carried on with patrolling.

So as much as we enjoyed the resort, it is making us think do we want to go back to that kind of experience.

Cheers Adam

78 replies to this topic
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drugs being offered

i find that very hard to believe...we arrived back wednesday after a week in l.a. we had a 16 year old with us ,and although annoying once you said no to whatever was being sold they moved on,not once in my 15 years have i ever been or seen drugs being offered ........perhaps i see the world through rose tinted glasses.......im sure it goes on but as i say not seen it myself ......

Huntly, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drugs being offered

I can certainly believe it.

Walking through Veronicas area during the day, after declining his offer of sunglasses, Mr Looky Looky asked if we would like "something".

Very clever. Nothing specifically mentioned. I assume I was expected to ask what he had?

Many of them are at it. Not the first time I've been offered.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drugs being offered

Not hard to believe at all.

I’ve seen it going on myself.

Our friend ‘google’ has all the details for non-believers.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,108 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drugs being offered

It has been going on years day and night.

Not just the looky looky men the Russia pimps ask you as well.

If you sit in the travellers you can watch the lad working his patch over the road.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
315 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drugs being offered

It happens to us every time we walk through Veronica's day or night. Offering it to your son is disgusting but as you say the Police don't appear to be interested.

Level Contributor
154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drugs being offered

Veronica’s is a dump. Why would anyone go there with so many other areas for food and drink.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
315 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drugs being offered

Because people have to walk through it to get where they want to be.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drugs being offered

Its quite simple....Spanish law REQUIRES that you report this to the Policia....it is not the Policias job (here) to intervene if there has been no complaint....different country=different rules

nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
730 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drugs being offered

Welcome to the real world.Walk around Nottingham on a Saturday night and you will be offered dope on every street corner.Hi,Claire.We watch the guy over the road from the Travellers.He's there every night.A copper on a motorbike pulled up the other night.Had a word with him,moved him on.He disappeared down the steps for about 5mins.then reappeared and carried on as if nothing had happened.We have never been hassled by the dealers.A quick "NO Thanks" and they leave you alone.

north west england
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drugs being offered

I've never been offered drugs. But then I'm an old git so probably not their target customer.

You do spot the dealers though - same person on the same spot each night.

There must be a sizeable market for the drugs - otherwise there wouldnt be so many people flogging them

Edited: 5:53 am, November 18, 2017
Reply to: Drugs being offered
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas