We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

My boyfriend and I are both early 20s, we usually go to costa blanca on holiday but this year we really fancy gran canaria! the lopesan costa melonaras hotel looks amazing, but it is in maspalomas, and we have heard from friends that the nightlife is better in playa de ingles, so was just wondering if anyone else has been to this region, is playa de ingles within walking distance of maspalomas, so we could have the best of both worlds, or do you need to take taxis there and back? thanks!!

england
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

hi where your staying is a long walk to pdi you will have take a taxi or find out the times of the local bus service,the taxis are cheap and plentyful so wont be expensive.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

thanks very much, are there any other hotels you could reccomend in this sort of area, or in pdi itself??

Gran Canaria, Spain
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

The Riu place maspalomas is in fact in PDI and you are only a short way from things - it is in a fantastic location but in PDI . :-

riu.com/en/…

Gran Canaria, Spain
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

Another great hotel in PDI is the Dunas Vital Suites it is in good area of PDI yet not far from everything.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

thank you very much for all of your help those hotels look great

Leeds
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

Hi

I went to Gran Canaria last year. We stayed in the lopesan villa del conde the sister hotel to gran hotel costa meloneras but could use the facilities of costa meloneras. Both these hotels are really nice the pools are fantastic and both hotels are very big. They are in a quieter but much much nicer area of Gran Canaria. There are some nice eating places and some shops around there also a few bars but nothing like the nightlife of benidorm or playa des ingles. We went into playa des ingles every night except one. I thought that playa des ingles was mostly foreign though - we went to puerto rico for a night out and i couldn't help but feel that we should have stayed there. Although it is smaller it is much more british orientated and the bars in the centre there were much busier better for music more like being at home we had a better time but it was a bit scruffy The taxi fair to playa des ingles was only 5 euros to the main nightlife taxis are cheap. You could never walk it at night. You can walk it in the day on beach but takes over an hour wherever you stay in playa des ingles the beach is down a long winding road and everything is spread out there is no promenade just concrete shopping centres. but in maspalomas it is nearer. best centres are kasbah and irish but they were just ok i was expecting they would be better personally i wouldn't go back again.Out of the places i have been (laganas in zante, ibiza , malia in crete, magaluf in majorca, kardamena in kos, playa des ingles, playa de las americas and benidorm - for great nightlife Malia in Crete has the best nightlife of them all in my opinion its more friendly too a happier atmosphere!!! Gran Canaria was ok but not fantastic. Hope this helps.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

I know what you mean that Gran Cranaria it is not very picturesque i have been to the 4 main canary islands and Gran Canaria is my least favourite just because it seems all concrete.My favourite canary island is between Lanzorote and Fuertventura but if there was any cheap deals to Gran Canaria i would go just for the sunshine but it would not be my first choice but everybody is different and want different things from a holiday.

Gran Canaria, Spain
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

I can't believe how Lesleywood can possibly say that Gran Canaria isn't picturesque. She/He obviously doesn't get out much. Go to places like:-

Teror (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsmanning/sets/72157604020396835/)

Arucas

Agüimes

Guayadeque

Puerto de Mogán

Playa de Arinaga

Caldera de Bandama

The Jardin Canario

Roque Nublo and Las Cumbres

La Aldea de San Nicolas

Fataga

Artenara

Vegueta district of Las Palmas

Presa de Chira

Presa de Soria

and so on. Of course the tourist resorts are purpose-built (e.g. Playa del Inglés and Puerto Rico - the whole Playa del Inglés/San Agustín area is due to be refurbished over the next few years). But get outside and there are forests, lakes, mountains and beautiful old towns. Las Palmas is a big city, with museums, galleries, theatres, opera, dance and so forth - and one of the world's best city beaches, Las Canteras.

The landscape is incredibly diverse, and there's much more to see and do here than there is on most of the other Canary Islands. Sadly, so many visitors miss out, just staying in Playa del Inglés or Puerto Rico.

London, United...
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

taxis between the two are about three euros, i normally stay in maspalomas and get taxi to pdi every night to hit the kasbah...

im early 20s too so nightlife is hugely important to me, and i found maspalomas is best place to stay for a lovely holiday near to everything :-)

10. Re: Maspalomas or Playa de Ingles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 23, 2009