We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers to Salou, info please!

Which Salou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first timers to Salou, info please!

Hi Guys

Ive looked at all the info on here and have some questions I hope you can answer. First timers to Salou, we are a family of five and our kids ages are from 21 yrs to 10. we have rented a villa at the following location: avinguda vilafortuny. Can someone please advise me of a good transfer company not too expensive? Ive looked and it seems to be 120 euro return? does this sound right?

Also we will arrive quite late, 22.00 hrs and the rental company tells me there is no supermarket open, and when I requested some basics to be left in the villa, bread, milk etc, they refused, saying they dont offer this service. They said there is a mc donalds nearby but I dont even know if this will be open? All we want is a nice cup of tea after travelling and something very light to eat until the next morning when we can find a supermarket nearby, if you can recommend one I would be most grateful.The rental company have also just told me that because we are arriving late we have to pay a fee of 70 euros, which I wasnt expecting. Once we settle in, whats around and about in terms of eateries etc? Thanks in advance.

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

* Avinguda Vilafortuny is in Vilafortuny, Cambrils not Salou. Its about 5km from Salou. Can you be more specific on the address?

* Transfer 120 euros? Is that from Reus? If so its expensive.

* There is no McDonalds near to Vilafortuny

* Disappointed on the 70 euros excess. Maybe at 2 or 3am in the morning but not 10pm.

Until I get more details on the address then its hard for me to advise further.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

Hi Martin thanks for your reply the address is 68 avinguda vilafortuny, and now that ive looked at it on google maps im panicking as there seem to be roadworks right outside our villa? All we need is some basics on the night of arrival, we should get to the villa by 10.30pm

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

Try ringing touchdowntours.co.uk to get a quote. They're a local company ran by an English man. He maybe able to bring you to a small shop for the basics if there's one open. €120 sounds expensive.

Is it possible to bring a few bits with you to tide you over?

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

well we are flying with ryanair so i dont think they allow food. do you know that area? is there a mcdonalds nearby as I was told by the rental company? thanks again for your help. Also, how far are we from a bus stop? we will want to go exploring Salou etc?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

Why do you say Ryanair don`t allow food ?

Nobody from Ryanair will check what is in your luggage , they don`t really care .

Going through airport security will only check that you have nothing illegal ----weapons , drugs . bombs etc.

They won`t bother about tea bags or ham sandwiches .

Graham

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

It's only liquids that you can't carry in hand luggage. You can put food in either hand luggage or hold luggage. There are a few restrictions but most foods allowed.

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

I know the area very well and also your villa. You are in Vilafortuny... a very nice town inbetween Salou and Cambrils. You do not need a car but I would recommend one. Does no one drive as the bus stop is a good 15 minute walk.... it would also cut out the need for a transfer so the 120 euros could go towards car hire.

* The roadworks have gone. They were completed sometime ago so do not worry about them.

* You have three nearby supermarkets.... one is a simple Spa. The other a great little deli called PlusFresc and lastly an excellent Mercadona BUT they are all shut by 10pm. The nearest McD's is in Salou around 6km away.

* Turn right out of your villa and walk 200 yards over roundabout. Great little bar on your left called Xenxo. They do snacks, coffee, tea and of course beer/alcohol. They are open until 2.30am

* Just made a call.... I can get you a return transfer, incoming transfer via a convenience store, for less than 100 euros but they need dates to confirm. Email salouvilla@yahoo.co.uk

Any more Q's fire away................

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

Thanks so much guys,Martin I will email them straight away, what is the persons name and do they speak english? I asked hubby and he said we really dont need a car as we all love walking and exploring. ok last question!! what is the weather REALLY like in may? we arrive May 10th. we went Portugal last year september and it rained the whole week! hence the earlier time of year holiday this year!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

Carmel the weather in May is usually quiet nice but there's no guarantees, you are taking more of a chance the earlier in the season you go. Take a look at the top questions on the right hand side of the forum page, in the question re weather in October there's a link to a weather site, you can change the date to see what the weather was like in may for previous years.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: first timers to Salou, info please!

Thanks Crazeedaisy. I am looking forward to it now that its getting nearer :)

Get answers to your questions about Salou