We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel in salou?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel in salou?

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Salou. We have a 14year old who wants to be at the centre of things. We were going to go all inclusive but have heard that sometimes food is not great or there are queues.

We might go half board and are thinking of the Calypso hotel or the Las Vegas.

Is it difficult to get from Barcelona (Reus) airport to Salou? This will be our first time in Salou, we would welcome any advice.

Bournemouth
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel in salou?

hi... i used to be a rep in salou a few years ago and go back on holiday most years The Calypso is a large Thomsons hotel, very popular with families.So lots of children of all ages. It is situated in a side street the far side of the main Road, however it is only round the corner from the centre. There are lots of pubs and bars in the area, but not so close that you would be affected by noise from them. The Las Vegas is a lovely hotel. It was always very popular and as a rep we hardly ever had any problems there. There was a nightclub which I think is still there in the road behind the hotel, which may produce some noise, however this is pot luck really. The hotel is quite big so it would be unlucky to be put in one of the rooms overlooking the rear. There is a little cafe bar opposite the Las Vegas called La Perla which is run by a little Spanish man called Alfonso, who is very quiet but lovely, and you will get value for money in there compared to some other places in Salou. It is usually quite quiet in there (don't know why)but nice place to chill out for a quiet lunch time drink and a baguette! All in all I found most of the hotels in Salou to be relatively old and a lot of them are in good need of refurbishing, but that is because it is an older resort. I must say I do think that you would be very wise to choose a hotel that is not all inclusive!!! I would never book an all inclusive hotel unless I was going on a long haul holiday e.g carribean.

I went to Salou last september with my partner, my 1 year old daughter and my parents and we all stayed at the Salou Park Hotel, on a half board basis and I must say I would recommend this hotel. It is a 4 star, however I never rely on star ratings in Spain. I found that this hotel was in a fab location overlooking Cappelens beach and a short walk ( 1-2 minutes)down one small incline and you were in town. We were not affected by noise from surrounding bars/ clubs at all. Food was lovely, but bar prices were fairly steep. We paid a bit extra to get a room with sea view which was WELL worth it. The views are fab!!! You won't be disappointed!!!! I must say it really provided the edge to the holiday. It was so nice getting up in the morning and looking straight out onto the balcony with that lovely view. Also coming back from the pool in the afternoon and sitting on the balcony with an ice cold drink(They have fridges in rooms which can be hired)The rear rooms are too close to the hotel next door, and don't get much sun on balcony. If you do decide to opt for this hotel, ensure before you book that you are booking a room with balcony as some rooms at the rear of this hotel are in the basement and have no balcony!!! These rooms are usually sold by the likes of on line accomodation finders... so just beware. But this is probably one of the nicest hotels near to everything in Salou that I have come across. It is not over crowded with English, there is a good mix of many nationalities, which was actually very good.There are a few newer hotels in Salou which are a short disance out of the centre, but to be honest I don't know much about these. I hope this has been helpful. As a rep I learned very quickly that not all people have the same tastes, and certain places that some people love, others hate... so really it is a case of trial and error. I hope you find a suitable hotel

Bournemouth
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel in salou?

whoops... just re read your message again and I didn't answer re the airport. Reus airport is only a short distance from Salou. It takes about 15 mins in a taxi and from memory cost about £15 to £20 each way, straight to your hotel door!!! They are usually readily available as soon as you walk out of the airport. They all have meters in them so you know you are not being ripped off!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel in salou?

My wife and I went to Salou a few years back, to be honest, we weren't too keen on it.

Reus airport has to be the worst airport I've ever been to, its an old Spanish military airport, hopefully you won't have any delays, the less time spent there the better, although its a short drive to Salou from there.

We actually stayed next to Salou in a resort called La Pineda, and we were at the Estival Park hotel, the hotel was fine, and having a 14 year old in tow, the bonus is its proximity to Porta Ventura, its a good day out there for anyone with kids, and the resort is certainly better than Salou.

I'm not a big fan of all inclusive, it reminds me of school dinners, and it spoils the pleasure of eating out, which is one of the things I enjoy whilst on holiday, the big bonus though is the drinks being part of the package, particluarly if you like a drop or two.

The best part of the holiday was our excursion to Barcelona, it took us to all the usual places and we ended the day drinking cava by the brilliant musical fountains at night, superb.

IRELAND
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel in salou?

Would just like to ask the ex - rep if you remember Hotel Los Angeles and if you can tell me anything about it. Thanks.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel in salou?

Many thanks for all your information. We will check out the hotel you recommended. Its great to hear from someone who has first hand info. Thanks again

6. Re: which hotel in salou?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Salou