We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency in gibraltar

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
currency in gibraltar

can I use Scottish notes or better to change into bank of England? or is it easy enough to get notes once I'm there?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: currency in gibraltar

You can use Sterling notes, Gibraltar pounds and indeed Euros. However, if you use Euros then the shops/restaurants use their own rate of conversion into Sterling which will not be to your benefit. If you require to lift money from an ATM I would take the option to lift Sterling as Gibraltar pounds are no use to you anywhere else. Our Scottish Sterling should be acceptable but we would tend to err on the side of caution and either take Bank of England notes or lift Sterling once on Gibraltar, who needs a hassle on their holidays.

If you plan on using an ATM while in Spain or indeed Gibraltar let your bank know that you will be in both countries and the start and finish dates you will be there otherwise your bank may not pay out at an ATM without you phoning them and if you have to do so on either your mobile or from a call box it is just more needless expense. You do not need to be specific about which day you will be in Gibraltar it is sufficient that they know you will be there at some point during your holiday. And remember to itemise all the cards that you may use, whether you do or not is immaterial.

When we go to Gibraltar we leave the car on the Spanish side of the border at La Linea de la Conceptión and walk across, it is a good walk and generally a hot one so make sure you have on your comfiest shoes and don't whatever you don't forget your passport. Also be aware that the Spanish Police are very vigilant with regard to what people are taking back across to Spain. I would not attempt to purchase above the limit on items such as cigarettes because they will be seized.

Have a lovely holiday.

Saludos. Lindsay

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency in gibraltar

thank u so much that is really helpful. were thinking of just using the express bus tour, heard there's less queing at the border

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: currency in gibraltar

I have never been on the bus but I have taken the car across twice, on our first visit and once when I was dropping my husband at the airport. Car parking is a bit of a bother so that is why we usually walk across. On the approach to Gibraltar it is a wide boulevard type road along the seafront at La Linea, the road then goes into a series of loops where the queue forms. I do not know if the express bus can take any precedence in the approach to the border but I would doubt it. You actually cross the airport landing strip which is shared by commercial flights and the RAF. On one occasion we had to stop at the barriers to allow two RAF jets to land, this is the closest my boys have ever been to such craft and they were absolutely amazed at the speed and noise.

If you are holidaying on the Costa de la Luz and you have any more questions I will help out if possible, my knowledge on the Costa del Sol is less but I visit a friend who lives in La Duquesa and I know bits and pieces of the stretch between La Duquesa and Almuñecar.

Lindsay

Edited: 4:02 am, April 19, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency in gibraltar

Barclays on Main Street has an ATM that dispenses BofE notes, as has been said don't even think of using euros - I have come across many examples of truly horrendous exchange rates (1:1 is commonplace but by no means the worst).

As for the border, getting onto Gib. is rarely a problem, getting off again depends entirely upon the mood of the border police on the Spanish side but whatever you do remember not to exceed the tobacco and alcohol limits unless you're happy with having your passport stamped as a smuggler and going onto an international register as such, making any future travel more exciting than you might possibly want.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency in gibraltar

Also be aware that if you end up with any Gib notes or small change you will not be able to use them in the UK. When I last went I used my credit/debit card rather than cash when I could to avoid getting small change, did use cash a couple of times and have a few Gib coins left which I can't use.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: currency in gibraltar

CJ did your bank not charge you for using your credit/debit card in Gibraltar?

Lindsay

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency in gibraltar

No, I wasn't charged Lindsay, assume its because sterling is sterling, although we can't use their notes and change in the UK the money is the same.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: currency in gibraltar

Handy to know CJ. As you know we only tend to go when everybody is out of perfume and aftershave. This year the family of five is down to family of three. Will seem a bit strange. We are spending our first 16 days in Chiclana de la Frontera (as usual) and when my husband goes home (back to work, poor soul), my son and I are off up to Olvera (as usual) for another 12 days. It was actually up to 31º the other day in Olvera - Blissful sunshine!!!

Lindsay

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: currency in gibraltar

Might be worth checking with the bank but I'm sure there should be no charges.

Your holidays sound idyllic, will have to have a look at paying a visit to the area.

CJB

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: currency in gibraltar

CJ in Olvera we are just 50 minutes beyond Ronda. It is really a rather good location to get away from it all but if you want a bit of city biz you can be in either Cádiz, Sevilla or Málaga in under two hours. Booked my car this morning and got my usual good deal from José at www.doyouspain.co.uk Will check with the Bank of Scotland if they charge for using a debit card in Gibraltar. I keep my Santander credit card to pay car hire only because they do not charge for its use in Spain but it only has a limit sufficient for the car hire and a little breathing space.

Lindsay